SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Little Martha—Duane Allman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Little Martha—Duane Allman Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I’ve been listening to the ABB quite a bit lately, particularly my favorite album, Eat a Peach. I’m guessing many of you even forgot this one is on the album. Duane wrote it and it’s just him and Dicky Betts on acoustic guitars.

Among those who have covered it, Leo Kottke once called it ”the most perfect guitar song ever written.”

At the end of every Allman Brothers Band show it is (or was) played over the PA system as a tribute to Duane.

Posts: 13266 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Open E tuning Wink

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Open E tuning Wink

Yeah, I read that

Posts: 13266 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Absolutely love that cut and album. One old my all time favorites. Always get teased about whether I am related. Someone once said something like 4th cousin once removed but who knows. Smile

And as for Kottke, his 12 string work has always been amazing. Favorite LP of his: "My Feet Are Smiling." Saw him several times live over the years.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16224 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:I’m guessing many of you even forgot this one is on the album.

You’re right. It’s one of my favorite albums, but a lot of times I just skip this song. Frown

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6406 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
If Kottke thinks it's the most perfect guitar song, I should try to learn it...if I'm capable. I do like it and Eat A Peach is a great album!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38684 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Makes me happy to see this thread getting a little bit of love. Any of you that play electric guitar, I can recommend a fun lesson on “Stitch Method” YT channel. It’s on learning to play lead to the simple rhythm of “Blue Sky,” a looper pedal is a big help.

I guess since it’s my thread, I can detour it slightly. “Little Martha” reminds me of this old acoustic composition by Jorma Kaukonen of the Jefferson Airplane, “Embryonic Journey.” It was used as part of the soundtrack to one of my favorite movies, The Rookie, Dennis Quaid in the title role. This is really nice too.

For years I thought Jorma Kaukonen was Jack Casady and vice-versa. I just thought Casady looked more like the one of Finnish heritage. I would say that’s Casady playing bass on stagewih Kaukonen. The pictures go clear back to when Grace Slick was cute.