SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Watched "The Menu" This Weekend
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watched "The Menu" This Weekend Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Wow...that was an...interesting movie.

As an ex-chef it was really fun to watch and see how they must have had some top-notch technical advisors because I really didn't notice any mistakes like you typically see in movies featuring chefs and kitchens like glass pots and pans and wrong kitchen line layouts etc.

I'll never look at a S'More again the same way, that's for damn sure! Eek

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I saw it a few months back. It was definitely not what I expected, but I enjoyed it.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I saw it a few months back. It was definitely not what I expected, but I enjoyed it.

Agreed. Way more artsy and less a straight up thriller than I expected, but very well done. And the cast was great. Big fan of ATJ and Nicholas Hoult

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It was a fun movie.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
It was a good film, I kept intending to see it, finally watched it on a plane and now I’m glad I did finally saw it.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed this film.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
For anyone who has watched this, I’m confused by two things that Chef Slowik said in the movie:

In the “Taco Tuesday” scene he mentions growing up in Waterloo, Iowa.

But then later he says during the tea scene “There's a saying. 'Sometimes all you need is a good cup of tea.' I learned that growing up in Bratislava…” and at that point Margot gives a little sideways glance like she caught that he just said two different things about his background.

Did anyone catch that?

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A couple possibilities, considering they included Margot's reaction:

A) Margot had likewise lied about where she grew up, so it may have been a dig directed at her, which she caught.

B) It may have been an intentional display of how pretentious chefs lie and make up these whimsical personal connections for each dish, and all of the other diners were too enamored to catch the blatant discrepancy except for Margot, who has seen through the bullshit from the start.

But in general, it's possible for someone to "grow up" in more than one area. Families move around. When people ask me where I grew up, I have several answers, because we moved every few years for a while. So had they not intentionally included Margot's reaction, it could have easily been explained by surmising that he spent part of his childhood in Slovakia and part of it in Iowa.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A couple possibilities, considering they included Margot's reaction:

B) It may have been an intentional display of how pretentious chefs lie and make up these whimsical personal connections for each dish, and all of the other diners were too enamored to catch the blatant discrepancy except for Margot, who has seen through the bullshit from the start.

This was my thinking since the movie is basically a spoof of the whole "Cult of a Chef" thing

Did you know there was a real-life restaurant on an island in Denmark that may have been the inspiration for Hawthorne?

It coincidentally closed after the movie came out:

Noma, The Menu-est of Restaurants, Is Closing