SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    RIP Nurse Ratched and Vedek Winn. Louise Fletcher (1934-2022)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Nurse Ratched and Vedek Winn. Louise Fletcher (1934-2022) Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
https://www.startrek.com/news/...ring-louise-fletcher

quote:
StarTrek.com is deeply saddened to report the passing of actress Louise Fletcher, who played Kai Winn on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Fletcher passed away on September 23, 2022, at the age of 88.

Fletcher was a beloved Oscar-winning character actress. Fans of Star Trek knew her best as the cunning and ambitious Winn Adami, a Bajoran religious figure who frequently fought with Captain Sisko and his crew throughout the show’s seven season run.

Born July 22, 1934, in Birmingham, Alabama, Fletcher’s career began in the late '50s, with appearances in shows such as Maverick and The Untouchables. Her performance in the 1974 Robert Altman film Thieves Like Us drew the attention of director Miloš Forman for a role in the 1975 film, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. For her portrayal of Nurse Ratched, Fletcher won an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award, and a Golden Globe, making her the third woman in history to win all three awards for a single performance.

Fletcher first appeared on Deep Space Nine in the first season finale, setting up her multi-season journey as Winn Adami. Her character was key to the show’s ultimate endgame set up in the series finale, “What You Leave Behind.” Over the course of 14 episodes, Fletcher delivered a nuanced portrait of an ambitious woman who was willing to do whatever it took to gain and maintain power, becoming a fan-favorite villain.

Speaking to StarTrek.com in 2012, Fletcher shared that “DS9 was one of the best memories of my working life, of my day-to-day working life.”

“It was like playing a symphony for the 99th time,” continued Fletcher. “I still get fan mail. People are still interested. They still want your autograph. Or they’ll send those [trading] cards and ask you to sign them and send them back. I would say that my mail is 40 percent Cuckoo’s Nest, 40 percent Star Trek, and 20 percent other shows and movies. And that’s great. I’m glad I did Star Trek. I’m so glad I’m part of that whole happening.”

The entire Star Trek family sends their condolences to Fletcher’s family, friends, loved ones, and fans around the world.

I’ve not heard cause of death, but I’m assuming natural causes. The “lady” knew how to play the perfect Karen. She pissed me off multiple times watching DS9 that an uncontrollable hatred came over me whenever she was on screen. It took several years to figure out, “Wow! She’s a really great actress!!” and got so caught up in the story I forgot we were watching a performance.

A definite RIP.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
She was chillingly evil in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
The “lady” knew how to play the perfect Karen. She pissed me off multiple times watching DS9 that an uncontrollable hatred came over me whenever she was on screen. It took several years to figure out, “Wow! She’s a really great actress!!” and got so caught up in the story I forgot we were watching a performance.

A definite RIP.
Agreed, she made a great villainous duo with Marc Alaimo(Gul Dukat). Though I wouldn't consider Kai Winn a
"Karen", since she didn't complain to anyone. She was definitely the patronizing type, just as Nurse Ratched was in Cuckoo.

My favorite ST series was much more enjoyable with her contribution. She is with the Pah-Wraiths now.

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
She was chillingly evil in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

And very true to Kesey's book, as well. I worked the same job Kesey did during the same time period when he was researching the book (attendant/orderly in a state mental hospital), one could find a "Big Nurse"-like character in most of them.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
"My child..." *punches screen*

Doing a DS9 watch right now, on the last season, so I'm gonna be sad, but still mad at her. The Sisko shoulda made her walk the lock, blow her into the wormhole, let her meet her Prophets as a Winncicle.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
^^^^Winningest post in this thread. May as well stop.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I saw her in some Perry Mason episodes earlier this year. She was kinda hot back then.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
She is one of my favorite characters on DS9 (my favorite 'flavor' of Trek). As stated previously, her interaction with Mark Alaimo's 'Gul Dukat' was outstanding (they were both outstanding villains).

She was sooooo passive aggressive. In one episode, Maj Kira came to visit the monestary where Kai Winn was - Kira and Winn clashed a LOT, and Kira was there with a dude monk with whom she had a 'will they/won't they' relationship. There was this tense confrontation, all with Winn speaking in her sugar-sweet false politeness, when she ended with this gem:

Her whole 'My Child' thing was SOOOOO condescending. In fact, she was the queen of condescention.

This one just always cracked me up:

In some Trek groups, she is universally known as 'Space Karen':

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I saw her in some Perry Mason episodes earlier this year. She was kinda hot back then.

RIP, Nurse Ratched

-MG

Posts: 1984 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I just finished DS9, I forgot she got what was coming to her. Coulda solved a lot of problems before they became problems if she just fucked off into the wormhole 15 minutes after she got on the station.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post