SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The XF-84H Thunderscreech
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The XF-84H Thunderscreech Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction: 900 Sonic Booms Per Second

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
Great presentation! Not your average, dull, informational video.

I grew up in Bakersfield, CA, and the original plane was mounted outside of the county airport, greeting visitors for many years. In 1992, it was taken to Ohio, restored to display condition, and is now located in the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Dayton.

At Meadows Field:

In Ohio:

Posts: 566 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I love this type of stuff, his videos are decent. Popomedic is good too.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
They were trying all kinds of crazy stuff with aircraft in the 1950s. My favorites are the single example each from Convair and Lockheed of a "tail-sitter" (for VTOL capability) plane. This is Convair's.

No one, seemingly, gave any thought to how the thing was supposed to land. Can you imagine a pilot looking over his shoulder and backing it down onto a ship deck?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 28013 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
What was the Best of the Century Series Fighters?

F100 was first a pure Air Superiority fighter, Then Ground Attack and the two seat version became the first Wild Weasel. Apparently had a wicked Stall on landing approach.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have said this before but it bears repeating:
One of the few reasons to visit Dayton OH is to tour the USAF Museum. Its world class. As a kid, I would skip school and spend a day there. Which was a better education, actually.
Plan to spend an entire day there.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16125 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
What was the Best of the Century Series Fighters?

F100 was first a pure Air Superiority fighter, Then Ground Attack and the two seat version became the first Wild Weasel. Apparently had a wicked Stall on landing approach.

The best? Interesting question, the best at what? The 100 was an updated F-86, essentially. Probably the best dogfighter of the bunch. The 102, 104, and 106 were basically pure interceptors, or were designed as such. They were meant to do one thing, quickly get to, and shoot down, Soviet bombers.

Posts: 475 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In the last few months of World War II, Nazi Germany, being bombed on a daily basis and becoming desperate, came up with some really nutty ideas. This was never completed, but that someone even thought it up is crazy. Focke-Wulf "Triebflugel"

Posts: 28013 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post