SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Lives of Others. Dir. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck. Sony Pictures Classics, 2006. Film.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Lives of Others. Dir. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck. Sony Pictures Classics, 2006. Film. Login/Join 
Picture of Keystoner
posted
Every once in a while I Google the best foreign films on Netflix (I know--I should just ask here). Recently I did this and I chose the subject film. The article I found did not mention that this film won the Oscar for best foreign film. After watching, I'm not surprised. The Netflix description is: "As a secret police agent eavesdrops on a successful writer in East Germany in 1984, he becomes increasingly fascinated by the man's life and politics." I take issue with the word 'fascinated.' It doesn't do this film justice. If I were to summarize this movie in one word, mine is 'empathy.'

I've gotten to a point in my life where I just want happy endings in movies. It's a shame to think I could miss (have missed) great movies because of this desire. I'll only say that the ending of this movie is perfect.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
It's a great movie. Deserves wider viewing.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post