SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bringing Up Father and St Paddy's Day (corrected title)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bringing Up Father and St Paddy's Day (corrected title) Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
My memory wandered this morning and an image of Andy Capp carrying a pot of either corned beef and cabbage or Irish stew (not sure which) in the old vintage newspaper comic strip materialized.

Anyone else recall this old strip?

*corrected the thread title from Andy Capp to Bringing Up Father

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Yep, I remember it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Upon further reflection it may not have been Andy Capp but rather Jiggs from Bringing Up Father who carried a pot of corned beef and cabbage home.

Found this:
https://www.thedailybeast.com/...ned-beef-and-cabbage
"But according to Ziegelman, that’s when corned beef and cabbage went mainstream, thanks to an unlikely source: a comic strip. “Bringing Up Father,” George McManus’s popular American comic that launched in 1913, chronicled the exploits of Jiggs, a newly rich Irish-American who wanted nothing more than to sneak out on his nagging, social-climbing wife, Maggie, to drink and play pinochle with his lower-class buddies at a tavern called Dinty Moore’s. The carousers’ typical meal there—corned beef and cabbage—became a running joke."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post