SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - Tom Hanks as Mr. Rogers Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
Be Blessed -

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is that the guy from The Americans, the one interviewing him?

I predict this movie will be UGE for the 2019 holiday season.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Yes, Mathew Rhys.

When you asked I looked it up. I did not realize that he and Keri Russell actually hooked up and have a kid together.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For the love of God and all that is holy please don’t destroy this aspect of my childhood. Please please please don’t let this end with Fred Rogers was demonic satan worshipper who once ate children in his neighborhood after fondling everyone. Please dear God and Hollywood leave this guy alone.

Sorry, I just always assume Hwood is setting out to destroy something good.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7673 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh, please. Nobody, nobody, can replace Mr. Rogers, let alone Tom Hanks. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26332 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I love Tom Hanks but he doesn't look or sound like Fred Rogers at all.

Shoulda got Daniel Day-Lewis. That dude can be ANYBODY.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I was born in 1953 and only care about Captain Kangaroo!

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Is that the guy from The Americans, the one interviewing him?

Oooooooh shit. Mr. Rogers gonna end up in a suitcase. Eek

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
For the love of God and all that is holy please don’t destroy this aspect of my childhood. Please please please don’t let this end with Fred Rogers was demonic satan worshipper who once ate children in his neighborhood after fondling everyone. Please dear God and Hollywood leave this guy alone.

Nah.

Mr. Rogers was PBS if you recall.

PBS is beloved by the Left. They won't say a bad thing about him nor should they.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Yeah, I love Tom Hanks but he doesn't look or sound like Fred Rogers at all.

I agree. I watched the trailer and the only thing that looked right was the puppets. One comment I saw was the seems more like an older Forrest Gump than Fred Rogers.

I probably won’t see it.

Posts: 17107 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it'll be a good thing. Our society is so politicized, jaded and sarcastic now, we could use a dose of a nice guy who just wanted to make people's, kids in particular, lives better.

Hanks obviously isn't Rogers like on the surface, but he'll generate way more interest than a lot of other actors would, and he brings his own genuine-nice-guy persona, probably like no other actor alive.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might be interesting, but given the major and recent documentary on him, seems a bit "also ran." I'm sure they'll have to add some drama to make it entertaining, as let's face it. He was an institution and above all reproach. How exciting of a movie can it be?

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Yes this was my first thought and fear as well. I have never heard anything bad about Fred Rogers, he appeared to be the real deal in a world without many.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
to those that grew up with him and bob Keeshan,
I find it hard to believe any one could come any where near close to replicating
their genuine ,heart felt empathy

now if the movie starts people thinking about how to treat one another , then great.

If hanks wanted to do something with Fred's legacy ,
he should have gone another direction

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54598 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Wasn't he a SNIPER in WW2? Killed like 47 of the enemy? Do they touch on that?

At least once a month I get the "Mr. Rogers was a WW2 Hero" e mail.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Wasn't he a SNIPER in WW2? Killed like 47 of the enemy?

Born in 1928 - would have been a bit young to participate in WWII.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
to those that grew up with him and bob Keeshan,
I find it hard to believe any one could come any where near close to replicating
their genuine ,heart felt empathy

now if the movie starts people thinking about how to treat one another , than great.
Bob Keeshan

I hanks wanted to do something with Fred's legacy ,
he should have gone another direction

Bob Keeshan lived in Vermont after he retired. My chef son went to culinary school in Montpelier and as part of his traing, he had to wait tables. One day, years ago, an older gentleman and his wife came in for lunch. My son thought he looked familiar and said, "Excuse me, sir, but are you Captain Kangaroo?" On getting an affirmative reply, my son drew himself up to his full 6ft 1in height, saluted and said, " Then allow me to thank you sir on behalf of my entire generation!" Keeshan got a big kick out of it.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Wasn't he a SNIPER in WW2? Killed like 47 of the enemy?

Born in 1928 - would have been a bit young to participate in WWII.

IIRC, he went from highschool straight to college and then to broadcasting and never served in the military.