SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ticket prices for concerts.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ticket prices for concerts. Login/Join 
posted
I got to see top popular groups when I was in college. Prime tickets were four dollars. No subsidy from the University. Even with inflation current tickets are outrageous. I had front row tickets to a nola Rolliing stones concert for about 30 bucks. Current price is 594 if you want similar seats. Crazy.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No more concerts or restaurants for me.

They're not getting any more of my money, since they've lost their freaking minds.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Stick to smaller venues (buy direct if you can) and bands that aren't too big for their britches. Seeing Imminence in May and after fees the tickets were $30 which is roughly what $4 in 1970 would be today.

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Bwahaha, my first concert, 6th row center, Cars opened for Styx on the Grand Illusion tour. $7.95 ea

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
the ticket prices I can deal with, it’s the B.S. fees that TicketMaster and their ilk charge that sends my blood pressure through the moon.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
the ticket prices I can deal with, it’s the B.S. fees that TicketMaster and their ilk charge that sends my blood pressure through the moon.

Same. I was in the industry too and got tired of it. I would open up for a well known band, see what I was getting paid, and bitch. All fingers would point to Ticketmaster. Fucking thieves and a got damn monopoly. Nothing but a third party making shit expensive for everyone. And believe it or not, mid level artists get screwed too. Only the big time, mainstream type artists, get the real money.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No shit. Eek
Never say never but concerts are most unlikely for me.
It is especially true of the great old bands that just do it for the cash cow.
The performance is deteriorated or the original members are gone and have just become a cover band of themselves.

I don't blame them entirely as it is the industry that has changed.
They don't make any money selling records anymore.

Then it's the price! Razz
Used to get a great seat for a great band under $20 and the performers were in their prime along with us being in our prime. Smile
I might make an exception for an aging musician that still can play.
Would love to hear Robin Trower or John McLaughlin play.
Wish I'd seen Jeff Beck lately before he passed, I am sure he was spectacular up until the end.
Thought about the upcoming Eagles and Steely Dan coming up but just can't do it and I loved both, especially Steely Dan.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I went to 3 this year [Shinedown/Papa Roach, Foo Fighters & Ben Folds], paid for 1 [technically 2, since 1 was a Father's Day gift out of our join acct Wink ]. The third was picked up by work.
There's a few bands/groups that I'll pay for, but for the most part I'm good to skip it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The last time I saw a large venue act was in 2002. Rush Vapor Trails Tour. I paid 75 bucks. That was it for me. Since then I have seen several smaller venue acts. Their prices are more reasonable.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:

This!
I was going to buy 3 tickets to a show at about $115.00 a ticket and the fees exceeded the cost of a 4th ticket. Nope, not willing to do it.

Do the math for a 3K seat theater.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
The concerts I am interested in seeing are groups or singer/songwriters that aren't playing pop. Smaller venues, lower ticket prices, better music.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 718 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
my first concert was about $5 or $6

wanted to see Paul McCartney at The Hollywood Bowl a few years ago

two seats left - Orchestra Pit - and they were $5400 per seat.

you can blame ticket master for this - in some cases I suspect they make as much as the performer

Posts: 53188 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
ticket prices have not been bad, however as mentioned the add ons have gotten a bit stupid,

some venues charge for will call, and want you to use the app instead,

I'm OK with that ,but used to do will call only (it was free) so instinctively lean towards that,

last 18 months or so,
Morrissey
Numan
OMD
Belew/Harrison Remain in the Light,
The Fixx
English Beat
Costello

maybe missing one or 2,

all tickets were 25-40 bucks , then add 8 to 15$ each for surcharges etc,

drinks at The Wolf Trap are high, and if you want to drink one in the seated area, you have to buy a sippy cup to have your drink it so you don't spill it,

not joking,
IIRC at $8 a pop.,

wife wanted to see New Order, but even the nose bleed seats were over $100,

did not make that one

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best deal I had was three bands for $25, with The Warning as the headliner. Kick ass show.

Band Maid? $40. I think. Cheap, anyway.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy was the expansive one at like $85. But I’ve seen them I think every time they have been in Atlanta since 1995, wasn’t gonna miss it.

Got Costello in January. Should be fun.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I will be dating myself, but Clapton for 20 bucks, Stevie Ray for 20 bucks, but the best was Led Zeppelin for 2.50.

Greatfull Dead free, 6th row center stage. That's after sipping cocktails with Gerry and the band for 3 hours. They gave us tickets.

Those days are just a fond memory now. I will not pay the asking price these days.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed.

In the last few years, I've passed on a couple of shows I would have liked to have gone to because the TicketMaster fees almost doubled the cost of the already pricey tickets.

On the other hand, I went to two concerts this year. Tickets for one of the shows were $20 each (no fees); the other show was $25 each (including a small venue fee).

Granted, these were not big acts. But, the bands put on a terrific show and the wife and I had a great time.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Saw Hendrix in the late 60's for 4.75.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I just don’t go to the big shows anymore, and haven’t for a long time. My daughter and I are seeing Colter Wall in 10 days and I believe reserved seats were somewhere in the $175 range, and that’s a lot money. Every show I’ve seen since Covid is markedly higher than it was prior. Things were very lean for everyone connected to live music for a solid two years, maybe they’re trying to recoup losses.

I saw a lot of big live music shows in my younger years. I’m amazed that so many recall the ticket prices from decades ago. I really have no idea what I paid for tickets back then. A major change in music over the decades is the fact that now live music tours are the be-all-end-all in supporting everyone involved in an artist’s career. Back then, the biggest driver (I believe) was album sales, and the tours promoted an album.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
A major change in music over the decades is the fact that now live music tours are the be-all-end-all in supporting everyone involved in an artist’s career. Back then, the biggest driver (I believe) was album sales, and the tours promoted an album.

Decades ago, I had a conversation with a person who I was friendly with through my job, she worked for Bill Graham Productions, one of the topics was concert ticket pricing. In her opinion, the game changers were #1) Barbara Streisand and The Eagles being the first to charge hundreds of dollars in order to make a huge profit from the gate. Before then, tours were used to promote and generate album sales, with many acts satisfied to make a little or break even on the road. And #2- the widespread use of I-Mag (image magnification) for concerts, which added a huge cost to tours (cameras, projection, screens, engineering equipment, operators, etc). And now, artists make next to nothing in royalties, but earn their living from concert tours.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
My first big rock concert, Day on the Green #3 in 1979 featured Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush, and St. Paradise at the Oakland Coliseum. I was 14 and my brother and I took the BART from San Rafael there and back.

Tickets were $12.50 so I had to mow two lawns to buy it. I don't think I'd ride the BART to Oakland today.

Posts: 1988 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post