SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    “Jaco” the movie re: Jaco Pastorius ... greatest bass player who changed the art forever
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

“Jaco” the movie re: Jaco Pastorius ... greatest bass player who changed the art forever Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted
Now on Amazon prime. Just a really good look at his life and music/innovations.

Jaco was a big part of my adolescence with Weather Report, John McLaughlin, Joni Mitchell’s Hijra, Pat Metheny, etc.

Comments from his family, sting, geddy, flea, wayne shorter, bootsy, et al. Sad story but worth the 2 hours imo.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Jaco was an unbelievable talent we lost way too soon.
Can't remember if I already have seen this or not but will give it a look for sure.

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jaco Pastorius

He was born in the same town as I was!

Norristown, PA - about 10 miles outside of Philadelphia.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
For those who don't know Jaco's genius:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMQUFvv0WRY

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQANdnDFe4c

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVDV0aYov_w

Smile

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Heads Up. Will check it out.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Living and growing up here in South Florida I've heard Jaco play a couple times. He was extremely popular. Thanks for posting this I've got to download "Birdland" on my iPhone to listen with headphones and the car. Just hearing it brings back some very fond memories and music back in the day.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I will add it to my watch list.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I knew Jaco for a couple of years before his death, his younger brother Rory was my band's manager in the mid 80's. (I was the bass player) Amazing talent but a difficult person to deal with. My stepfather was hanging around with and doing electronic stuff with Al Di Meola, Todd Rundgren and Pat Metheny at the time. I was much more of a punk rocker so I thought all that jazz stuff was pure pretentious crap.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I had never heard of him until this thread. That said, listening to a couple of his solos, I see where Cliff Burton got his inspiration for Anesthesia Pulling Teeth. There are some similarities in some of Les Claypool’s solos as well.
Definitely an inspiration of the bass players of the 80’s to present.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
I knew Jaco for a couple of years before his death, his younger brother Rory was my band's manager in the mid 80's. (I was the bass player) Amazing talent but a difficult person to deal with. My stepfather was hanging around with and doing electronic stuff with Al Di Meola, Todd Rundgren and Pat Metheny at the time. I was much more of a punk rocker so I thought all that jazz stuff was pure pretentious crap.

Cool story. Cool

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post