SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Good Old Sci-Fi.......
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Old Sci-Fi....... Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Don't think I've seen these folks mentioned yet:
--Poul Anderson
--Anne McCaffrey
--Ursula Leguin
--Ben Bova
...there's many others beyond the well known Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein. Big Grin

Like PHPaul, I grew up reading John Campbell's Analog magazine (although I was subscribing from the very late '50s - early '60s) so I remain very fond of old time Sci-Fi authors.

I have read Anderson (Orion Shall Rise) and Bova,

LeGuin's Lathe of Heaven is an excellent book,

never got into the dragon stuff, so I skipped McCaffery

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy.

Can't believe my local library purged his books couple years ago.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Larry Niven The Integral Trees

Alan Dean Foster
I have read and re-read that book mucho times. Been at least a decade.

and

the two sequels, Mission to Moulokin and The Deluge Drivers

Posts: 3538 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
William Gibson's Neuromancer opened the doors of the cyberpunk genre for me. Read the following novels and watched Johnny Mnemonic movie with K. Reeves.

Altered Carbon tv series was fine too.

0-0

I enjoyed much of Virtual Light, but never finished it when the imagery got too "cartooney". Shoulda read it when I was younger.

Posts: 5145 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Iain M Banks - the "Culture" books, and the sci-fi novels...

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/b/iain-m-banks/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Orson Scott Card?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5324 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Card's work is pretty good for a later sci-fi writer. Like reading David Brin's stuff from time to time. And Iain Banks writes some pretty entertaining material. Greg Bear was another author whose work that I often sought out.

For content from 1980 and earlier Asimov was my favorite go-to author for sci-fi and real science. Others close to the same class for me were Frank Herbert, Niven (with or without Jerry P) and Heinlein. Filled out the paperback library with Anderson, Clarke, Silverberg, Leguin, Pohl...

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Not surprised he hasn't been mentioned, but Alfred Bester was one of the Grandmasters of the genre. The Demolished Man was the winner of the very first Hugo Award for Best Novel and one of the quintessential stories on telepaths. He followed it up The Stars My Destination aka Tyger! Tyger! depending if you're in the US or Europe.

The thing that draws me to Bester is he's one of the most visual writers I've ever read. It's almost like watching a movie instead of reading events. Roger Zelazny gets close.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Not a book but I love listening to the old X minus one radio show from the 50s

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kg5388:
Not a book but I love listening to the old X minus one radio show from the 50s

You can still listen free here:
https://archive.org/details/OT...4-24001NoContact.mp3

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16224 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
The BOLO series by Keith Laumer. Great military Sci-Fi books about sentient tanks during war's of the future.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars series.

And I admit, I was surprised at how well Andrew Stanton's "John Carter" (2012) captured the genre.

Posts: 15895 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like the Anne McCaffrey Dragonriders series, most of Brandon Sanderson’s stuff and I’m almost finished with the Wheel of Time series.

Posts: 17891 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post