SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Many Saints of Newark: Sopranos Prequel Movie
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Many Saints of Newark: Sopranos Prequel Movie Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Is Ray Liotta reprising his role from Goodfellas in this, playing a unique character for this movie, or was he in The Sopranos?
"He turned down the role of Tony Soprano in The Sopranos (1999). He was later offered the role of Ralph Cifaretto, also in The Sopranos (1999), but turned it down. Several cast members from Goodfellas (1990) appeared in the series."

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm00...nm_dyk_trv_sm#trivia

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Is Ray Liotta reprising his role from Goodfellas in this, playing a unique character for this movie, or was he in The Sopranos?
"He turned down the role of Tony Soprano in The Sopranos (1999). He was later offered the role of Ralph Cifaretto, also in The Sopranos (1999), but turned it down. Several cast members from Goodfellas (1990) appeared in the series."

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm00...nm_dyk_trv_sm#trivia

Ray says he was never offered the role of Tony but he did turn down Ralphie.

In an interview with The Guardian, Ray had this to say, “No! I don’t know where that story came from. David [Chase, creator of The Sopranos] once talked to me about playing Ralphie [played by Joe Pantoliano], but never Tony.”

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a lot of bad reviews of the movie and almost didn’t watch it. I thought it was ok. It looks like they are setting up the possibility of a whole series of movies that go into further detail of the whole Soprano story. I think they can do a lot of really cool things if they keep going.

Posts: 219 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*** Potential spoilers!!! ***

Sorry fellas but this movie was a dud. This is coming from someone who watched the entire Sopranos series at least 5 times.

Sure, there's a lot of throwbacks and references to Sil, Pauly and other members of the Soprano's / events but they ruined so many established story lines from the series.

For example when Tony follows his father and sister to the "card game" at the amusement park there's nothing in the original series about his sister and him getting taken home by the cops. In addition, his father was home the same night and the guy Johnny just beat up that week was cheering for his return. That same guy was going to move west and open a club (that Johnny was going to run) and Tony's mother wouldn't go for it.

Why would a guy who has an outstanding warrant be released the same night and talk about leaving town just to concede to his wife and stay? First of all I don't see why he'd be released. Secondly even if he managed to get out and wanted to skip town that conversation about moving west wouldn't be a suggestion it'd be a requirement to avoid jail.

IMO they butchered Junior. In the Soprano's flashbacks Junior was as much of force as Johnny was yet he was a laughing stock just so they could (without spoilers you know what happens at the end). In the series he spent time with Tony in flashbacks yet in this movie he's portrayed as a clumsy idiot cuckhold who appeared absent from Tony's life.

Dicky Moltisanti didn't appear to be all that involved in Tony's life either which is surprising considering the movie was about him and in the series Tony held him in such high regard. Sure they had a couple scenes together but nothing that would suggest such a strong bond.

It would have been perfect if he groomed Tony for the family business the way Tony groomed Chris.

The most important point to note is that in therapy Tony told Melfi that he was "born into this shit" whereas in the movie his father and uncles did their own thing while he acted out. It's clear in MSoN that Tony chooses the life vs. being forced/born into it and detracts from his character in the series. Tony places great emphasis on being "born into" something. His career as a mobster, his son's depression, putrid genes, etc. The fact that they allowed Tony to choose his life of crime in MSoN completely blows all that out of the water.

What's up with Dicky's uncle getting a pass and is allowed to serve time? What kind of message does that send? I swear the people who wrote these storylines have no clue about how these things work. If it were up to them Nicky in Goodfella's would be in jail eating lobster after the Billy Bats thing and what happened there.

I could have sworn that Dicky Moltisanti said that his wife couldn't have children yet Christopher is at a family dinner without any explanation.

I'm still digesting but my first reaction is that a prequel series would have been ideal as the movie felt forced to cram as much references and nostalgia into what would be 2 episodes when there was enough material to last another 5+ seasons.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
SPOILERS

The film was just released. Lots and lots of people haven't yet seen it, including me.

Don't

spoilers

Or at the very least, mark your post prominently as such

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Every review I read says they should have made this a new series or at least a 5-10 part miniseries and not a 2 hour movie.

I referenced it feeling like the Sopranos version of Solo or maybe even Rogue One where you had all these characters created that were supposedly critical to what came after, but there’s no reference to them in the later works. Solo and Rogue were Star Wars flavored but still didn’t feel like full Star Wars movies to me. It feels the same way to me here with Saints.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My apologies Para, I took out the parts that were clear spoilers. The rest I believe are referenced in the series. If you want me to take the whole thing down I will.

Posts: 790 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Of course not. Just be aware of posting details of newly-released films.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Of course not. Just be aware of posting details of newly-released films.

Noted, my apologies.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I watched the movie on Friday via HBO Max. No spoilers, but I will say that I was disappointed. Maybe my hopes were just too high, but it just didn't match the production quality of the original. Frown

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was fine. My wife said she would have been upset if she'd paid to see it in a theatre.

A young adult Tony on the come up would have to be a series.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they are gauging viewer interest to decide whether to make more. Think of this as a Kick-Starter for a possible new series.

Those of you who wish there were more of Tony will get your wish if they go forward. Considering this is a prequel, they would have to show how the Sopranos rises above the others to become head of the DiMeo crime family in Joisey.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Every review I read says they should have made this a new series or at least a 5-10 part miniseries and not a 2 hour movie.

I referenced it feeling like the Sopranos version of Solo or maybe even Rogue One where you had all these characters created that were supposedly critical to what came after, but there’s no reference to them in the later works. Solo and Rogue were Star Wars flavored but still didn’t feel like full Star Wars movies to me. It feels the same way to me here with Saints.

Yeah. I agree with this. That's what I meant when I said it seemed like they were leaving it open to make more movies if this one does well at the Box Office.

What content was on screen, was both enjoyable, and a good homage to the series. I ENJOYED watching what I watched.

I felt it didn't really move any plot forward (maybe "backward" a little, as if to stage up storylines to fill in between this film, and the series)

There were lots of references to episodes of the series, including my favorite, in the ending monologue by the narrator. (I'll discuss those more when folks get a chance to see it and I won't ruin anything)

I'll give it a 6. I went in with high hopes, and by the time the credits rolled, I was disappointed. WHen I thought about it a little further, and i guess optimistically looked forward to their being future content, I felt better about it.

Kevin

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I've never understood the attraction of shows about organized crime. The Sopranos, Newark, or the Godfather movies. Never appealed to me.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
But he LOVES threads about movies about them! Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I've never understood the attraction of shows about organized crime. The Sopranos, Newark, or the Godfather movies. Never appealed to me.

Because movies about a poor guy working a corporate job just to be berated by his bitch wife and ungrateful kids can only be done once and Kevin Spacey nailed it in American Beauty.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

That's the great thing about movies/series... watch or don't watch. I love this genre as it shows things not normally seen in daily life. Sopranos for example wedge a somewhat normal suburban family man into the organized crime world. When at home, he's a regular dad with all of the family issues that come with that. At "work" he's a ruthless boss dodging FBI investigations, trying to coexist with the much larger NY organization and running the business that's headquartered in a strip club. And then there's Tony's need for weekly sessions with a shrink.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I liked the movie. No, it was not really a Tony origin story like the trailer made it out to be, but I still thought it was a pretty good movie. There was of course, plenty of fan pleasing nods to the series. Some casting choices were great, some were just meh. I really can't stand Jon Bernthal in anything anymore and didn't like him as Johnny. Then again, he really didn't have much of a role in the movie.

I think the series and the movie do a good job in portraying how these people who do unspeakable acts justify to themselves, somehow, that they are good people and they are bewildered as to why they are so racked with guilt and their lives are falling to pieces around them.

The best thing about the movie is that it prompted me to watch The Sopranos again (this will be the third time.) It's soooo good.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think this movie did an excellent job of showing just what a piece of work Livia Soprano (Tony's mother) really was all along.

SHEESH, I'm glad I never had a Mom like her Eek

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
watched it on premier night, enjoyed the movie, Michael Gandolfini did a good job, it was fun figuring out the characters, several did a great job with their portrayals of the series actors.

would have liked to see a bit more about Tony Soprano, his challenges with the black outs as a kid, more with his crazy moother.

thought the insertion Riots was more Hollywood inserting the riots was just more social justice messaging and had too much time, nothing in the Sopranos that I could recall had much to do with any black criminal organizations challenging them and had been over stated in the movie.

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post