SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    ‘Santa Baby’ composer Phil Springer, 91, still can’t figure out why his sexy Christmas song endures
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘Santa Baby’ composer Phil Springer, 91, still can’t figure out why his sexy Christmas song endures Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted

BY RANDALL ROBERTS
DEC. 22, 2017 3:15 AM PT
Phil Springer maneuvers his knobby but agile fingers across the keys of the upright piano in his daughter’s living room and croons the opening lines of the Christmas song so sexy that when Eartha Kitt recorded it for the first time in 1953 it was banned in parts of the South:

Santa baby, just slip a sable under the tree / for me / Been an awful good girl / Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight.

At 91, his voice might not purr like Kitt’s did — it’s more an affectionate bark — but Springer, who co-wrote the familiar tune, makes up for it in glee.

He wasn’t always so happy with the song. When Springer and his frequent collaborator Joan Javits finished writing “Santa Baby,” he delivered the music to the publishers with an apology: “I said, ‘Gentlemen, this is not really the kind of music that I like to write. I hope it's OK. It’s the best I could do.’”

Certainly, its coyly crass message and the way it so blithely revels in the season’s greediness set it apart from the usual Christmas standards. But the publishers loved it. So did Kitt, whose recording of the song was a huge hit.

Since then, “Santa Baby” has been covered by Madonna, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Faith Evans, LeAnn Rimes, Ashanti, Kylie Minogue, the Pussycat Dolls, even Michael Bublé. Earlier this month, Gwen Stefani performed it on her NBC Christmas special.

Yet the precise reason for the song’s success eludes Springer.

“I ask myself, ‘How come? I've written so many songs that, to me, musically are much better than ‘Santa Baby,’ and they're not popular,” Springer says on a recent afternoon at his daughter's Pacific Palisades home. “The answer has to be that ‘Santa Baby’ has a magic that goes beyond a composer's plans.”

https://www.latimes.com/entert...71222-htmlstory.html

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It's a great song along with Baby It's Cold Outside.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
It's a complete garbage song and needs to go away.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say it endures thanks in large part to Eartha Kitt's release of it.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
^ Eartha Kitt was a great Catwoman in the 1960s Batman series. Big Grin

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
I'd say it endures thanks in large part to Eartha Kitt's release of it.

I agree. Her rendition is tops despite many attempts to dethrone it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
It's a complete garbage song and needs to go away.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
A Christmas song from 1953 I've never heard. Interesting.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
My favorite version of it- Eartha Kitt. My 10 yo calls the song “sus”.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5322 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post