SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    WWII Documentary on Prime - Lancaster.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WWII Documentary on Prime - Lancaster. Login/Join 
posted
I was aware of the terrible losses the US 8th Air Force endured during the daylight bombing campaign over Germany in WWII. But I had no idea that RAF Bomber Command endured similar losses in their night bombing campaign. A documentary now on Prime titled "Lancaster" did great job of telling this story, with quite a few interviews from surviving Vets. Its beautifully filmed too with lots of footage of the last airworthy Lancaster. Great documentary and well worth your time.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure to listen to the song sung by the chorus during the end credits. I was enjoying the music but put on the captions when I wasn't sure if I heard right. Smile

Posts: 4985 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Great documentary.

I am so thankful that we have interviews with these men as that generation is slipping into the night.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4202 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Excellent program.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5158 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Assume they mentioned the 44% losses in Bomber Command.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3455 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Len Deighton's book "Bomber" is a very detailed look at RAF night bombing operations and the German defenses. It's fiction, but a great read.
https://www.amazon.com/Bomber/...241493706/ref=sr_1_1

FWIW, I have not seen this documentary.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
From what I understand the RAF did daylight raids and were getting slaughtered therefore switching to night raids.
The Lancaster was a badass bomber though.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3872 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished watching. Good stuff.

Rewatching the earlier program from the same folks called Spitfire now.

Posts: 928 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post