SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Big History: Silver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big History: Silver Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
This was released on The History Channel yesterday. It's getting a little tougher to find lately. Many are predicting it will get only tougher.

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I visited a silver mine in Colorado. It had been an active mine but was closed down because the price of silver dropped too low. (they said they could not compete with Chinese silver).

But you could still see the silver veins they were chasing. Anyway, I think it was the Bachelor-Syracuse near Ouray (IIRC).

The tour guide said that if the price of silver rose above $22 an ounce they may consider re-opening the mine.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Unless there is a true miracle, the economy is going to get much worse and inflation higher. Silver and gold prices would then go up. A lot. Partially as a store of value (inflation hedge), and partially out of fear.

The spot price is low right now, but the premium on top of spot to buy physical silver is keeping the price up for physical.

The spot price is therefore giving a false impression that people believe the economy is good and will remain good.

I'm way over invested in silver for that reason.

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
As a kid in the 1960's we would sort through coins for Indian head nickels, wheat back pennies, and silver quarters. Sometimes we'd find a real silver dollar.

If only I'd kept them instead of buying candy and model cars!

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I'm watching a 64 Kennedy half dollar (7.05 @ 19.48) go for over $20. It's nuts. (edit: a beat up accented hair no less)

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
About a month ago I was passing by a CoinStar machine and it had a coin in the reject bin.

Pulled it out and it was a Mercury dime. I can only imagine what was fed in to it.

One of the neatest silver coins I have is for three cents.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Nice catch.

My kids and I used to go through all of our change in order to find silver coins in different configurations. It was something to do and give them an appreciation of our monetary system and all that goes into it.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I had also traded to get a 20¢ piece as well, but it is 90% silver

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post