New
Find
Notify
Tools

RC Airplanes Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted
Anyone else here fly em? I've been out of the game for almost 10 years. A few weeks ago I was exposed to the new(ish) types of EDF jets which are made out of foam and balsa however they aren't at all lightweight. I was blown away. They feature retractable gear and doors, flaps, LED landing and nav lights...some even have working slats and speed brakes...essentially everything you could want and come with the servos/90mm EDF already installed. Add receiver and pair with your radio and you're off to the races after some assembly. Each jet takes on average 1 to 2 hours to put together. Tonight I started putting together the F-16. Super detailed...and big. Also insanely fast. I had to fly a trainer for a bit to get my coordination back. A friend clocked his F22 (same as mine) with a GPS at just under 110mph flat out, however they are just as happy cruising along at 50-60mph. I used to be all about gas powered planes but after dealing with these electrics I'll never go back. The coolest part is for about the price of a Glock you too can own your own high flying missile Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3599 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
EDF = Electric Ducted Fan, right?

Those are really nice looking! For some reason I was thinking EDF planes always had these exaggerated intakes and whatnot. Those look like plastic models!!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I wanted to get into it for years, just never had the time & finance bits meet at the same time & when I had both, preferred flying real planes when I could Razz

Got the chance to be on the UT Austin DBF (Design Build Fly) team in 2004.
Had to design & build a brushless RC plane to accomplish a 'mission'. IIRC, the mission that year was to be able to carry 2 1ft PVC tubes within 6in of the wingtip & be remote deployable (on the ground).

Got to play a bit on the RC simulator & found it a lot tougher than I expected. Not so bad when the plane is directly in front of you, but quickly could become disorienting otherwise.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
What do you get, 3-4 minutes of flight time? Does it have a minimum cool down ?

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Allen, yup, Electric Ducted Fan.

They used to look like that but now scale models are possible. It's wild. These jets are EPO foam reinforced with carbon rods and balsa.

quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
What do you get, 3-4 minutes of flight time? Does it have a minimum cool down ?

3-5ish depending on the pack and how heavy your foot. The jets don't have a cool down needed that I've noticed. Ive swapped 3 batteries in quick succession and had no issues. At that point I'm flying a different plane so haven't really pushed beyond that on a single jet. They all have some ram air openings and air flow though them while flying is very good.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3599 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way way back in the late 80's. Stick built Sig Cadet Mark II. Got a lot of compliments on the build when I showed up at a RC field. The building, learning to fly and comradery at that time inmy life were great.

Went on to build several larger kits by Great Planes. After passing $ 3000.00 in total spend I began reacessing and decided to get my private First Class.

Miss RC flying. Its was great education building stick kits, rigging, powering and the radio setup. Much fun too.

Wish I could find a large scale wood kit for the P-51. Would like to build it without film cover and hang it my garage.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post