SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Pete’s Dragon. The old and the new
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pete’s Dragon. The old and the new Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I grew up in the 80s and Pete’s Dragon was one of those VHS tapes that my brother and I wore out.
Had not seen or even thought I’d of the movie in at least 20 years. I frequently peruse the kids BluRay section at Half Price books for good movies for the boys.
There she was the BluRay and DVD of the original 1977 version (at the time I was unaware there had been a reboot) for $6 and I was stoked to share one of my childhood favorites with my boys.
We watched it and they loved it!
So of course they went to school talking to all their friends about it (mind you the oldest is 6) and my boys version of Pete and Elliot was not making any sense to the kids except one little girl who then explained to my boy there was a new one. My boy then explained to me and sure enough back in 2016 there was a reboot.
So I bought it and watched it first without the boys (as most movies I do) and while it was good it was not Pete’s Dragon to me. And it is still a little dark for my little ones so it will hang on the shelf for a bit.

I liked the happy go lucky musical style of the original. I also really enjoy the live action with the clearly intentional cartoon character added in.

So while it was good just kind of a tough one to call it’s Pete’s Dragon. But of course if they called it something else people would say it was a rip of Pete and complain for that. Ohh well the boys will enjoy it in due time.

It did send me back so Bedknobs and Broomsticks and The Swiss Family Robinson are next to be purchased.
The thread a while ago about Song of the South had me get that but still have not watched it.

Movies today just seem so lacking as I watch these oldies.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Great movies.
The old Pete's Dragon is fun still, but the new one was such a turn off I couldn't get through it.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I didn't know it had been remade. Shouldn't be surprised, I guess.

Loved it as a kid. Haven't seen it in many, many years.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I can't think Pete's Dragon and not think about this one. Big Grin

Posts: 9154 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
If you get Disney+ all those and many more are there.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks too...one of my favorites!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post