SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Album cover art: The iconic covers, your favorite, etc
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Album cover art: The iconic covers, your favorite, etc Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Hey oddball, did you know that Led Zeppelin’s In through the out door original / intended cover is the (outer) brown paperbag one?

The one you posted (and there were a few slightly different ones as far as I remember) is actually an inner sleve.

A similar, little known fact, happened before with Pink Floyd’s shrink wrapped Wish You were here. Think I read that in Psygnosis book, the company that made the cover art for many artists back in the day.

Also remember a canned P.I.L. album. The records were purposely a too tight fit inside the can and had to bent take them out.

I regretted throwing away the brown paperbag when i learned that fact. Too late for my several copies of Wish you were here too.
I attended Led Zep’s In through the outdoor tour. Someone offered me the price of a brand new stereo amp at the entrance for my ticket but I decided against selling it. Had paid the price of a vinyl record for the ticket, probably around $20. Am happy to have experienced John Bonham’s drummming first hand.

“If it ain’t moving, hit it!
If it’s moving, hit it again!”

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12113 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heathtx:
Linda Rondstat.........

https://images.search.yahoo.co...aff.jpg&action=click

Somehow, I knew Wink

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20109 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Hey oddball, did you know that Led Zeppelin’s In through the out door original / intended cover is the (outer) brown paperbag one?

The one you posted (and there were a few slightly different ones as far as I remember) is actually an inner sleve.

Yeah, I bought the album literally the day it came out, and yes, the brown covering was used to hide the various versions of the actual cover. Unfortunately, I threw it away. As you can see on mine, it is the actual cover, has the information on the left edge as always. The inner sleeve was a black & white graphic that turned colors when in contact with water. I used a sponge at the time to lightly wipe it.

This album was not well received at the time; it confused many fans and many critics hated it, but then many critics hated the band anyways. Strange how passage of time helped the band, considered one of the greatest bands in history, and the album sounds pretty good today.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16706 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Might be wrong but the voices in my head tell me there were 6 different versions of this cover. Don’t remember the water thing at all but i also bought the album before they released to the public.

It was not what I expected, you are correct. Took some time to grow on me.

Good times.

Wonder if i’m confusing the number of alternate covers with one of Genesis albums.
I was a big Genesis fan also, but not of THAT (Phil Collins backing band, by then) Genesis. After Duke it was all downhill for me.

0-0

Posts: 12113 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Much of my choices selected, so to add to the list:

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Springsteen - Born in the USA
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
Cars - Candy-O

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I liked the space ship themed album covers that ELO and Boston had...
My older brother had huge posters of some of them.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3925 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boz Scaggs silk degrees

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54648 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17137 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 648 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
From my Soul listening days I remember a cover with a naked lady covered in dripping honey, very tastefully made. Can’t remember the band, there were a close friend albums. Learned a lot listening to his music and it was the first stepping stone to develop my own taste in music in the years to come.

Any bells ringing?

What? No love for The Who’s Quadrophenia?

0-0

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
From my Soul listening days I remember a cover with a naked lady covered in dripping honey, very tastefully made. Can’t remember the band, there were a close friend albums. Learned a lot listening to his music and it was the first stepping stone to develop my own taste in music in the years to come.

Any bells ringing?

What? No love for The Who’s Quadrophenia?
0-0

Ohio Players - Honey - I had this one...

Factoid: The album's iconic cover featured Ester Cordet, a Playboy Playmate of the Month for October 1974.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post