SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Allow me to indulge my inner 7 year old please. G.I. Joe Content
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Allow me to indulge my inner 7 year old please. G.I. Joe Content Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I have shelf in my office with various toys and Legos on it. Nostalgic stuff and some of my original toys as well as some of my daughter's Lego creations.

I grew up in the 80s and G.I. Joe was MY toy of choice. I had Transformers, HE-Man etc. etc. but G.I. Joe was my toy.

Fast forward.....err some years later. Frown and I just had one of the early G.I. Joe Comics pop into my head for some reason. I decided to try making a diorama of it with what I had around the house and some basic craft supplies since I had never done anything like this and I mean the world is a shit show and frankly playing with my G.I. Joes seemed about the healthiest thing to do at the moment so.......Big Grin

Here is what I have come up with so far. I did most of it from memory of the comic 3.....errr some years ago but did download the cover and make some changes. I have more work and some painting to do but all in all I am happy with the way it is turning out and it beats me running around the house muttering Let's Go Brandon.

So for all the 80s kids and Joe fans I give you a nice a little town.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it. Thanks for sharing. I had the cobra glider and always wanted the tank. I didn't have the money for a lot of toys like this, but certainly enjoyed the shit out of the glider.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool man. I need to build a diorama from the first comic. The one that has all the levels of their underground base.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome!

My childhood goes back to GI Joe with KungFu grip. You could press a button in his back and it would make his arm punch forward. I think he was called Super Joe.

Had the submarine that I took in the bathtub and I remember the giant attacking squid that came with it.

Would come home from Jr. High and make eggs and watch GI Joe cartoon (…and knowing is half the battle!)

Go Joe!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Careful tho, the Art of Diorama is addictive.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Fun stuff.

Why does Barbie have black and blue titties? Because GI Joe has the kung-fu grip.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in a store recently that mostly sells older action figures and they had a rare GI Joe aircraft carrier. I've never seen one up close and in person. It is absolutely one of the most awesome toys of all time. I wanted it like I was 10yrs old again but where do you put a 7ft long toy?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I have shelf in my office with various toys and Legos on it. Nostalgic stuff and some of my original toys as well as some of my daughter's Lego creations.

I grew up in the 80s and G.I. Joe was MY toy of choice. I had Transformers, HE-Man etc. etc. but G.I. Joe was my toy.

Fast forward.....err some years later. Frown and I just had one of the early G.I. Joe Comics pop into my head for some reason. I decided to try making a diorama of it with what I had around the house and some basic craft supplies since I had never done anything like this and I mean the world is a shit show and frankly playing with my G.I. Joes seemed about the healthiest thing to do at the moment so.......Big Grin

Here is what I have come up with so far. I did most of it from memory of the comic 3.....errr some years ago but did download the cover and make some changes. I have more work and some painting to do but all in all I am happy with the way it is turning out and it beats me running around the house muttering Let's Go Brandon.

So for all the 80s kids and Joe fans I give you a nice a little town.

That is seriously boss. There's a great documentary on Netflix about 80s toys. Well, well worth watching it. "The Toys That Made Us"

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome!

I’ve recently found myself being nostalgic for toys from my youth. I think you’re going to make me spend money.

I never got into the 80s cartoons or comics but I did have a G.I. Joe doll when I was 2 or 3 years old. A flood of memories came back. He had a really rough beard, if you pulled his legs you could see the rubber bands that held them in place and he had words on his butt. I tried to “shave” him by peeling off his stuck-on beard and it never went back on so I didn’t like it anymore. Haha! Big Grin

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
That’s awesome!

I’ve recently found myself being nostalgic for toys from my youth. I think you’re going to make me spend money.

I never got into the 80s cartoons or comics but I did have a G.I. Joe Doll ACTION FIGURE when I was 2 or 3 years old. A flood of memories came back. He had a really rough beard, if you pulled his legs you could see the rubber bands that held them in place and he had words on his butt. I tried to “shave” him by peeling off his stuck-on beard and it never went back on so I didn’t like it anymore. Haha! Big Grin

Fixed it for you!

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I do have an original in box Kung fu grip Joe that was bought for me as a weee lad but the 3.75inch line was what I loved at least early on.

As for the doll comment…….truth be told I always kinda wanted Barbie Dream house………I thought it would make a fantastic kill house for my Joes. I guess I always had a shooters heart. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice set up!
When I moved across country last summer I found my box of a few dozen original 4 inch GI Joes from the early & mid 80s. Storm shadow, snake eyes, the Indian with the Eagle, dog handler, duke, scarlet etc. The rare hooded cobra commander I had to mail away for. A ton of them. And guns and accessories and for almost all of them the dossier cardboard that came on the back of the packaging. After 35 years the rubber bands in almost all of them were brittle and or broken. My good friend had told me his 4th grade son with his small fingers and small rubber bands fixed his old GI Joes and had battle scenes set up in his room. So before I left I karma’d his boy with that box of Joes and the few vehicles I had and said as long as he fixed them and didn’t sell them on eBay he could have them. He was over the moon.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
There's no place like Springfield!

Good looking diorama, yeah, they can get addictive for sure.

Same here. I thought the Joes were cool.

Then I found an original Megatron. No not that one, the one from 1974 with a sword and plastic bullets. Throw in a few F-15s and some locomotives here and there and it was a done deal. The only down side is that I had to trade Scarlet, Snake Eyes, and the HISS tank to get Megatron, but I still have it.

Legos are a different story. Building things with my nephew never gets old. First was the skyscraper that just had to have a gorilla on top. Then some airplanes to shoot him off with. Then a tank to shoot down the airplanes, then a half-track, howitzer, etc... We ran out of airplanes.

Let us know how your next one goes.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
nicely done,

I'm too old for the Cobra stuff, it was just GI Joe when I was a kid,

still got a box somewhere full of very well worn stuff

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

GI Joe approves. (the REAL GI Joe) Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
This thread got me looking at some of the collector groups. I love seeing them all on the cards and in boxes. Takes me back to some of my favorite Christmas mornings.

I only have a couple left at my parents. No clue which. I just remember selling most at a yard sale.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

I used to have quite a few of the toys, even the aircraft carrier. I recently found a card box with all the character cards cut from the back of the packages. Must be 250 or so, I haven't counted. Probably worth a little bit to a collector.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about this today. I wouldn’t mind creating a display scene for a dozen or so figures.

On a side note, I am amazed at how tiny the figures seem to be in my hands now.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although Joe was around when I was a kid, I never got into him. I went all in on Tonka. I wish I had held on to them!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post