SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Name those wonderful un-PC movies we can no longer enjoy…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Name those wonderful un-PC movies we can no longer enjoy… Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I just watched revenge of the nerds and Porky’s back to back, no chance those get made today.

To add… Kim Catrell (Lassie) in Porky’s was a smoke show!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Why can’t you still enjoy them?

Blazing Saddles, for example, is so edited it's unwatchable.

True, on regular TV. But I just watched it on one of the streaming services a few months ago with my sons.

I gave them the preamble about the message of the show, and that Richard Pryor was part of the writing team. They did not know who Richard Pryor was, but did understand when I told them that Richard was pretty much the Dave Chapelle of his time.

They laughed their ass off throughout the movie and did not cringe at the language, it was a great father son moment.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Brooks even pointed out how loathed the Irish were at the time in Blazing Saddles. He made sure to cover nearly every stereotype there is. One of my all time favorites, and definitely couldn't be made today.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My favorite: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

Q

Posts: 26412 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Actually my intention was to get a list of good old time movies to watch.
These are the type of movies that mostly can not be made nowadays. Things we’ve lost in the name of progress and evolution.

There's a difference between 'couldn't be made today' vs 'can no longer enjoy'.

Blazing Saddles
Airplane
Tropic Thunder
Executive Decision
Slap Shot
Animal House
Risky Business

Those films wouldn't get the greenlight from a studio these days, but they're not at all difficult to find on DVD or streaming to enjoy. Other movies are hard to enjoy, b/c they've been phased out, or there's a movement to phase them out, such as:

Song of the South is a perfect example.

There's a growing movement to phase out Gone with the Wind, b/c it glorifies the Old South. There are millions of copies out there, but you don't see it played in revivals as much as you used to. Do AMC & TCM still screen it regularly?

Sixteen Candles and Revenge of the Nerds glorify date rape.

The 1980s was full of raunchy teenage (and 20-something) sex romps. Yes, Porky's lead the way. Do you think Tom Cruise wants to remembered for Losin' It, a movie about teen boys going to Tiajuana to lose their virginities or Tom Hanks for Bachelor Party? Movies like those are gradually being removed from circulation. Couple others I remembered:
My Tutor - a high school boy falls in love/is seduced by his adult French language tutor

Class - this is sort of a forgotten Brat Pack movie. A HS boarding school student inadvertently has an affair w/ an adult woman/MILF who turns out to be his roommate's mother.

It has become increasingly difficult to find classic Tom & Jerry and Warner Brothers cartoons due to all the politically incorrect racial tropes & stereotypes in them. Pepe Le Pew is a sexual predator. Speedy Gonzalez stereotypes Mexicans (nevermind that Mexicans love the character). Porky Pig is offensive to people who stutter.

I don't think Breakfast at Tiffany's gets played as much as it used to, b/c there's no way of excusing how offensive Mr Yunioshi's character is. Even Mickey Rooney said he was ashamed of the role. Mr Yunioshi makes Long Duck Dong from Sixteen Candles look dignified.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Meatballs!

But generally almost every older movie has something someone perpetually offended will complain about. I mean even current movies always have someone offended.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I've just ordered Blu-Rays of a few Disney movies--the original versions: Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Pinnochio, Beauty and the Beast. Still trying to get the original Little Mermaid.
All their remakes of those are crap.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
IMO, it is mostly racial depictions that would be at issue, and maybe religion.

Charlie Brown Christmas
Various Tarzan Movies
Road to Zanzibar, maybe
Khartoum
Betty Boop, A Star is Born
Charlie Chan
Paleface
Cabin in the Sky
Green Pastures
Dumbo... the remake is awful

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5965 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The Naked Gun

Yeah. This is one of the absolute best slapstick style movies in the history of man. All of them, although the first is the best.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blazing Saddles

another of my favorites.

Whats the most ridiculous about this is the ENTIRE POINT of the movie is that racism is stupid. It makes all the racists look like morons and pokes fun at tons of prevailing attitudes at the time.

It's LITERALLY about misconceptions of a group of people in town who can't fathom a black sheriff.

Hell, it was written by and for Richard Pryor, who the studio wouldn't let star in the movie because they didn't want to risk his drug addiction, so they cast Cleavon Little.

It's a great movie and one of the funniest in a long time. But it uses "no-no words" so it MUST be cancelled.

Talk about missing the point.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I grew up on Mel Brooks and must’ve seen Blazing Saddles a legit fifty times and only just now did I learn about Richard Pryor’s would-be role in the film. That just adds a whole other layer of excellent on it.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
You could add Dirty Harry to this list. One scene alone where another cop lists who all Harry hates.

Posts: 7529 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post