SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    TCM Movie Alert: Casque d'Or
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TCM Movie Alert: Casque d'Or Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Loosely based on an 1898 Paris incident, director Jacques Becker's 1952 film tells the story of a love triangle involving gangland characters and a blonde woman.

Part romance, part crime drama, it's French cinema at its best.

TCM is airing it tomorrow night and Sunday morning on Noir Alley. Eddie Muller knows his films, but in my book, it doesn't really qualify as film noir, although I suppose an argument can be made for it being so, and we'll hear it from Eddie tomorrow at midnight.

No matter how you classify the film, this is yet another one of those movies that I consider to be essential viewing for those who consider themselves film buffs. In all the world, you'll not find a people more passionate about film than the French.

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Thank you, set to record.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I watched the opening bumper for the film just now. Muller offered no argument that this film was done in the noir style, calling it "noir-stained". It comes down to Muller simply wanting to present the film and I can't fault him for that. Noir Alley airs more than 40 films a year and they can broadcast Out of the Past only so many times.

posted Hide Post
I thought it was pretty noir-ish. And a great ending!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
It was really, really good!

I watched it twice taboot.

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5059 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I am new in the noir movie thing and still trying to figure it out.

Been recording all and watching all the recent Noir Alley offerings.

As a bonus I always enjoy B&W offerings although I know that is just a minor part but to me it impacts me nostalgically.

However, I am sure this is a good, even great movie but my inexperience shows as I don't tolerate foreign-films-with-translations all that well.
I hope to evolve. Frown

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I am new in the noir movie thing and still trying to figure it out.
Watch a couple of hundred films noir (more than once), read several books on the subject (more than once), give it about a decade and a half and that'll be a good start for ya.

Lesson number one: it's not a genre, it's a style.

posted Hide Post
For anyone who wants to explore noir, these films are a great place to start:
The Killers. With Burt Lancaster (his film debut) and a smoking hot young Ava Gardner.
Double Indemnity. With Fred MacMurray, Edward G. Robinson and in a great femme fatale role, Barbara Stanwick.
The Postman Always Rings Twice. With John Garfield and Lana (wearing white) Turner.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d add The Big Sleep, with probably the sexiest book store in town.

Posts: 3341 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another great choice, Para. In college I used to hitchhike from campus (Northfield MN) up to the Twin Cities just to go to French film festivals - sometimes even in the middle of winter, -40F! There is just so much about French filmmaking that doesn't translate directly that is nuanced, majestic, and powerful. Thank you for this suggestion.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post