SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Do you play PC games with Zombies? Do you play DayZ?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Do you play PC games with Zombies? Do you play DayZ? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
If you don't know, DayZ was and is a mod of Arma 2, and was then borked into a "standalone." Well, the standalone is garbage, and Arma 3... meh.

If you played DayZ in the past, and perhaps you played with other members here, I have news.

I've gotten together with a couple of like minded guys, and we have a server. It's got more traditional features, less technology, and things like night.

No tanks.

No heavily armed aircraft.

No one shot sniper rifles.

No invincible bases.

No invincible vehicles.

No bases that are not physically possible.

Day/night cycle.

These are just a few of the features. There are some unrealistic things in effect, such as you can carry a backpack full of cinderblocks and still run.

The server is up now, and while we have some things to add and adjust, the goal is a "throwback" to earlier versions of the mod, with some niceties like snap building and banking.

In time it will be whitelisted and come up in DayZ launcher. You may be able to join straight away, but probably will have to verify some files etc. Welcome to DayZ.

You will need:

Steam

Arma 2

Arma 2 OA

Arma 2 DayZ Mod

DayZ Launcher from http://dayzlauncher.com/

The active mods on the server are DayZ and DayZ Epoch. Download these with the launcher.

Currently, the surefire way to join the server is to start DayZlauncher, go to advanced, add DayZ, add DayZ Epoch, and launch. Go to multiplayer, and select Remote.

Enter the server 45.126.208.66 and port 21244

This should work. If it does not, verify your mods through dayzlauncher, and verify Arma 2, Arma 2 OA, and the DayZ mod through steam.

We'll have a Discord server up soon, it's quiet on the server right now, but hopefully not for long. Mining is active, and missions will come soon. We'll also be tuning the loot table and trader prices.

The server name will probably change, I pulled it out of my butt just to go live. We should not be making any changes that require a wipe or reset, so if you begin building a base, it will be there.

There was, and can be again, a sweet spot of gaming for DayZ, where there is a mix of tension, risk, basebuilding, teamwork, PvE and PvP, a flavor that was lost among fully militarized servers where people sit in invincible towers and snipe.

The server aims to accommodate new players without the threat of being immediately mowed down by established players who have the advantage of higher technology or firepower. PvP will involve more equalized risk for those who wish to be bandits.

If you had an interest in DayZ in the past, I'd recommend giving it another look. If you're not familiar, well, it's a mod and wonky, but the payoff is unique. My name there is the same as my name here.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
This is cool Arc. I don't have a system that'll run it, I don't think, but it's always interested me.

I enjoyed reading the old thread about Sigforum's band of survivors.

I frequently watch DayZ footage on youtube for a laugh. Just seems like an awesome way to spend some time with like minded folk.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If you can't run it, you must have an ancient computer. As in, one that runs on whale oil or human sacrifice.

Arma 2 isn't a new game, here are the system requirements:

Released in 2009
Processor: Dual Core CPU (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster)
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: GPU (Nvidia Geforce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM
Hard Drive: 10 GB free HDD space

The graphics are dated, surely, but it's got all the right stuff to do what it does. The shenanigans are precisely why it's still interesting to play.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Arc. I'm not much of a techie. I do all my computing on a laptop with a core i3 processor.

I've given some serious thought into forgoing any other console system in the future and working on a gaming pc instead. I'm been getting a little burnt on console stuff and back in the day enjoyed pc games much more.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I'll give it a try. Finally got my new old rig assembled. i7-3770, 16GB ram, Radeon HD6970 2GB, 250GB SSD, and nice case. The only thing I paid for was the power supply, case, and graphics card which was $100 a year or 2 ago.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7051 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Whelp, Arma2 is running on my machine so, give me a bit of stumbling around learning the controls and I'll be along to be your cannon fodder/Zombie bait Arc.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
This is fantastic. I'll probably only have time to play one every week or so. But I look forward to joining you guys.

Unless it's been wiped. My account over on Shoguns server probably has Millions of dollars in it.

I will say if there is any way to duplicate it. The whole compound mission at the very top of the map was one of my favorite things to do.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Report This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Man, the shenanigans. Such good times.

I sort of wish I was single now.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Decisions... Decisions... Big Grin

I remember mid fire fight.. my son would wake up. I'd be 2AM and I'd have him in my lap with a bottle. While doing a drug run with you guys. LOL!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunderson:
Whelp, Arma2 is running on my machine so, give me a bit of stumbling around learning the controls and I'll be along to be your cannon fodder/Zombie bait Arc.

Now is a good time to learn, with a quiet server.

quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
This is fantastic. I'll probably only have time to play one every week or so. But I look forward to joining you guys.

Unless it's been wiped. My account over on Shoguns server probably has Millions of dollars in it.

I will say if there is any way to duplicate it. The whole compound mission at the very top of the map was one of my favorite things to do.

There is a similar area on this server, where you can be murdered by skilled AI. The AI and loot aren't active yet. But they will be. They. Will. Be.

Gold mining is up, so you can be on your way to millions.

quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Oh, I bet you could find some time, and the staff of this server is considerably less insane.

Arc.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Ok. So I was on for a bit last night. First time playing. Here's the noob story.

It was night-

1st noob mistake- pulled chute too early so after a brief 45min descent I made it on the ground at electro.

2nd noob mistake- not figuring out side chat

3rd noob mistake- I play on a laptop and forgot to turn off touchpad so every so often while searching a room my thumb would rest down and I'd unintentionally fire a shot. Nice. Here zombie...

4th noob mistake- climbed to top of power plant in electro, at night. No real problem, but couldn't see to get down from top of first floor. Yolo'd it and dropped down. Bandaged. Had a drinkie. On I went.

Did ok looting and such. Still figuring out the controls. I'm in a bit of a pickle right now in that I'm in a small village up the coast and running low on food and drink. Gonna have to try to get in the server during daylight and go kill something and find a water bottle. Sparkling grape only goes so far.

On the plus side I scored a silenced M9 and if I find a long arm, odds are I'll have ammo for it.
Didn't get touched by a single zombie, but I don't think that was for lack of trying.

Lots of fun. I'm sure if there were more folks on the server I'd have had a much shorter and more painful experience.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I thought that might have been one of you, but wasn't going to bother you since you didn't say anything. I'll find you the next time you're on and give you a run down of the basics.

We do need to go over the loot tables, the default ones are pretty sparse, but if you go on some servers, guns are everywhere and that's silly. So there is middle ground there.

Guns are more likely to be found in barns and military buildings, but can spawn anywhere.

The map is pretty huge, so it doesn't get crowded with a lot of people, but certain things are a draw. Once it's populated, you'll have to be careful on roads, in cities, near the gold mines, or any reliable loot areas.

The zombies can be a threat if you forget they are there, or make a lot of noise. People are the real danger, and some play as bandits, some as heros, sometimes it's just shoot on sight.

The easiest way to get started, is to find a vehicle and sell it at one of the trader cities, to get some supplies. Eventually you'll be able to spawn a bike with the tool box, but we won't be doing vehicles or aircraft like some servers do.

Arc.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The highly militarized compound at the top of the Shogun server map was fantastic. It took legitimate teamwork to get through there as you couldn't get past the snipers and machine gunners without someone drawing fire or counter sniping.

And then the blackhawks full of bad guys would show up and box you in.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There'll be a spot for some tough AI, not as big as the bunker thing though. Server is shaping up, 5 whole people on right now. It's searchable through DayZLauncher now. Search Exclusion Zone.

Arc.

Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Did some more stumbling around yesterday afternoon. Figured out how to pitch a tent. Ran into a house and scored a rifle and rolled into the bathroom and picked up a revolver and some ammo.

Turned around and AAAAHHHHH Zombie! followed me into the house. Except Zombies don't usually carry a gold plated AK. Turns out this AK carrying Eastern Orthodox priest was a pretty good dude and in his benevolence dropped me some much needed water and food.

Shortly thereafter I was good to go except I developed a bit of a cough.....crap. Couldn't find any antibiotics so I stashed my stuff and died hidden and alone.

Got back in the server and by this time discovered there were a few more folks out and about. Found an bike and pedaled my ass off, dodging pop shots, making my way to my stash.

Got to my stash this morning, geared up, and now I'm good to go. More or less. Gotta get some wipes, and antibiotics for future use and go see what I can get into. Think I'll take a vehicle to the traders.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There is now a "teamspeak" for the server, it is on Discord:

Download at: https://discordapp.com

Email me or see me on the Dayz server for the invite.

Arc.

I do not make the laws,
I balance the scales
Picture of RiCoShea
posted Hide Post
steam has Arma II and OA on sale this weekend for around $7

The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them. -
Lois McMaster Bujold

"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."
--Sam Brown

Posts: 395 | Location: On the corner of "No" and "Where" | Registered: October 20, 2004Report This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
niiice.

AI missions are up on the server.

Arc.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...35/m/3920059143/p/42

Arc.