SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Take a lap in Earnhardt's #3
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take a lap in Earnhardt's #3 Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Ol Johnny needed a gimbal for his cell phone video

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DO IT FOR DALE

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I just watched Days of Thunder and it's kind of eerie how similar aspects of that movie are to Dale's death. And the movie came out 11 years before.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I see that the HANS device wasn't installed on the car. If it had been in 2001 Dale would still be alive today. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Nobody embodied a sport like Dale Earnhardt and that black #3 car did. Michael Jordan did not mean to basketball what Dale Earnhardt meant to NASCAR. NASCAR barely exists today. When Earnhardt hit that wall so did the entire sport. It's unwatchable today.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I see that the HANS device wasn't installed on the car. If it had been in 2001 Dale would still be alive today. Frown

Jim

It was available, but not mandated, at the time. Earnhardt refused to wear one.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was also reports that he had already loosened his harness belts somewhat. Never confirmed of course.

I was attending multiple races a year then. Would not go to one now if I was paid by the lap/mile.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that!

There is a great photo somewhere, close up through the windshield from the stands. He was leading the race at Bristol and driving only with his left hand, he had his right hand on a roll bar brace. He looked so completely relaxed, just like he was out for a Sunday drive.

A quick google failed to find it.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post