SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
A no brainer, slightly nostalgic, simple fun.

If you have time to kill… It’s enjoyable, do not ask for more. Do not expect more.

Murphy still looking good (compared to the Bad Boys, for example) but the others not so much.
It looks as if Tony Scott’s spirit was present.

Enjoyed the soundtrack mixing 80s hits with more current sounds.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12258 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night..

As 0-0, mentioned it's just a fun movie nothing more.. Eddie Murphy still looks good compared to the other cast members.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2708 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I thought it was great, light fun. A proper fan service with the nods to the soundtrack, jokes, and character quirks. (Did I hear the theme to Airwolf at one point?) When Rosewood says, "Taggart's gonna shit!" I about died laughing.

My only problem with the film is the scene at the end but I don't want to spoil anything.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18090 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Yep, it was fun. Good recipe for success

Posts: 13860 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I haven’t pulled the trigger on this one. Beverly Hills Cop is probably my favorite comedy movie; I’m struggling with the concept of Axel Foley still toting a badge and a gun…40 years later.

Posts: 13556 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
That didn't feel like a $150 million film. It felt more like a made-for-TV movie, which it essentially is. For what it is, it's okay. There are a handful of solid laughs. That plot is splayed out way too much with a focus on too many characters that aren't Axel Foley. Maybe this is the best that can be done in a day and age where comedy can't push boundaries or be edgy. Nasim Pedrad's real estate agent was amusing and shows that the film didn't have to rely completely on nostalgic callbacks to old characters. I wasn't big on all the tepid rehashing of music choices either. Is this better than Beverly Hills Cop III? I suppose, but it certainly takes less chances. Is it better than Eddie Murphy's Metro? That's interesting. Let me dwell on that a little bit.

The villain showdown was a mess. And, what happened to loud gunshots in movies? Why does everything sound so muffled?

Posts: 5605 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it’s better than that Coming to America Sequel, but still TV movie style Frown

I’ll watch it but thankfully I’ve kept my expectations extremely low. A bit exhausted from the nostalgic tries at making millions. Come up with some new material for goodness sakes, instead of the incessant rehash.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it and enjoyed it.

Nowadays, sadly, my only asks of a property movie are not to embarrass or murder my favorite characters and don't throw political nonsense in unless the point is social commentary.

Posts: 3106 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2795 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I watched it for old times sake and I am glad I did.

Was it great, no. Was it good, yes at least for me.

I enjoyed seeing all the old cast, even in their advanced age.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36897 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
watched it last night

good way to spend a couple hrs in the AC after a long day outside,

some LOL's some groans, and overall worth the watch

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10564 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Better than expected. They stuck to what made the original popular and much of the original cast made an appearance. Had a few laughs, it's worth a watch if you like the original.

JC

Posts: 1302 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Finally watched it and meh. Just a cash grab for Murphy. It wasn’t as bad as the Coming to America Sequel, which was also a cash grab, but it wasn’t good either. Whomever said TV movie was spot on. The story and writing were awfully thin. Acting wasn’t much better. The jokes bombed. Levitt and Bacon must have no roles coming in to take on this.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
It was entertainment. I see he still prefers the BHP.

Posts: 5677 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Finally watched it and meh. Just a cash grab for Murphy. It wasn’t as bad as the Coming to America Sequel, which was also a cash grab, but it wasn’t good either. Whomever said TV movie was spot on. The story and writing were awfully thin. Acting wasn’t much better. The jokes bombed. Levitt and Bacon must have no roles coming in to take on this.

I agree and said basically the same thing to my wife afterwards.

Posts: 749 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I thought it was great, light fun. A proper fan service with the nods to the soundtrack, jokes, and character quirks. (Did I hear the theme to Airwolf at one point?) When Rosewood says, "Taggart's gonna shit!" I about died laughing.

My only problem with the film is the scene at the end but I don't want to spoil anything.

It took me a minute. Big Grin

Posts: 3594 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
No banana in the tailpipe reference. Frown

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17593 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
No banana in the tailpipe reference. Frown

Posts: 5605 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a lot of fun. I did not going in to expecting much just looking for a way to pass a couple hours.
I was not disappointed. I enjoyed it. Ran along the same lines of the originals.

Ol’ Eddie has not aged a bit.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25662 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It was fair, at best.

Sequels are so hard to do well. There were a few nostalgia moments here, but it wasn't a good movie.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53235 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post