Find
Notify
Tools

Pele has passed Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted

Posts: 5290 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
He made the game beautiful.

R.i.P.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was the great one.

Posts: 14548 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
The greatest player I ever saw:

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Saw him in the late 60's at the old Busch Stadium in St. Louis. He was past his prime, it was hot as hell and all I knew was I'd seen an all time great. An unfair and incomplete experience but yeah, glad to have been there.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8305 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
RIP Pelé.

A poster on another board disparaged his ability vs todays players and said he wouldn't make a current European Big 5 side. I strongly remonstrated.

Given his natural talent, how much better would he be with

- Modern conditioning coaches
- Current nutritional guidelines
- Contractual requirements with respect to tobacco and alcohol
- Rule and officiating changes that protect offensive players more than in his day
- Micro-surgeries to correct chronic injuries players simply played with in those days
- Better pitches now
- Better footwear now

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3427 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
A poster on another board disparaged his ability vs todays players and said he wouldn't make a current European Big 5 side

Conversely, the players of today, would not last 5 minutes playing in the conditions and under the rules as they were, in the 60s-90s.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Conversely, the players of today, would not last 5 minutes playing in the conditions and under the rules as they were, in the 60s-90s.

No kidding, could you imagine the flopping they employ now being done back then? They would probably catch an ass whoopin from their own team mates back in the locker room.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I tried playing soccer in Jr. High. Never could get into the game, but I remember watching Pele play from time to time. I recall his bicycle kick being the most amazing thing I'd seen at the time.

He lived a good life. I hope he made it upstairs.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I was surprised at his age. I of course thought "Wait, how old am I?" Not the normal "death math" people do, instead I was wondering how old he was when I was a kid? Apparently older than I realized.

Then of course I thought of...

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Not a soccer/“football” fan in the least, but did appreciate Pele’s talent and ability when I saw a replay of the first time he performed the back somersault move for a goal. Liked him in the movie “Victory” as well.

RIP, Mr. Pele…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11042 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
RIP Pelé.

A poster on another board disparaged his ability vs todays players and said he wouldn't make a current European Big 5 side. I strongly remonstrated.

Given his natural talent, how much better would he be with

- Modern conditioning coaches
- Current nutritional guidelines
- Contractual requirements with respect to tobacco and alcohol
- Rule and officiating changes that protect offensive players more than in his day
- Micro-surgeries to correct chronic injuries players simply played with in those days
- Better pitches now
- Better footwear now

I couldn’t agree more.

Very sad news. May he RIP. Watched a lot of footage over the years and a lot of interviews and read his autobiography in the early 80’s when I was still in elementary school. He captivated my young mind. Interviews, video or print, he was always extremely modest and was what I call a man. He will be missed, greatly.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12556 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
To offer an example of his impact to the game…

I’m 53 years old and could not give an F about soccer; my only awareness of it is when there is an international match (correct term?) that takes over the TV’s and from watching Ted Lasso.

Yet, I’ve been aware of Pele for decades and knew that he was associated with soccer.

That’s a powerful presence.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12298 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing him play against the Fort Lauderdale Strikers when I was younger.

Posts: 6836 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I did not know he was that old. RIP.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19570 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
For some of us who did not grow up playing soccer, in the era before sport channels and well before the internet, this was our introduction to a soccer player named Pele:

After seeing this movie, me and my friends "discovered" Pele and were astounded.

RIP Pele.

Posts: 3908 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post