SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Youtube commercials: Do you get a lot in Spanish?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Youtube commercials: Do you get a lot in Spanish? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
My last name is not Spanish/Latino, but to read it you could think it might be. Because of this I get lots of junk mail and telemarketing calls in spanish.

I also get a few commercial on Youtube in spanish. Just wondering if this is some random thing they do, or some connection being made elsewhere through my IP / internet provider or something else. Hmmm..?

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Could just be playing the demographic numbers.

For example, companies might look at data showing 25% of the population in your area is Spanish-speaking, and therefore they run 25% of the advertising in Spanish.

Personally, I rarely ever have to sit through Youtube commercials at all, Spanish or otherwise. Most of my Youtube viewing is on my computer, where the AdBlockPlus plug-in blocks ads, including Youtube ads. It's only on the rare occasion that I view Youtube on my phone that I see ads.

But within that very limited exposure to Youtube ads, I don't recall ever seeing any in Spanish. And a sizable chunk of the local population is Spanish-speaking (~20%). From what I recall, it's almost always car ads and movie trailers, in English.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No, because I pay them off not to show commercials.
Unfortunately a lot, maybe most do a mini-live commercial within the video so I just FFwd past. Frown

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Seems two commercials in a row is the norm now. Soon it will be three, then four and as bad as trying to watch tv.

I know much of the commercials are based on what you're watching, but where you're watching from plays a part for sure. Other than the ones obviously influenced by what I'm watching, when I watch at work, only 2.5 miles away, the other commercials are clearly target to a certain market. (because of where I work) For a long time it seemed like there were more commercials at work than I was getting at home. (more as in more in a row, not more often)

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
All of them Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
All of them Wink

Smartass! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16194 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Brave blocks YT ads, which is great.

YouTubeTV, though, we do get ads in Spanish. Wish there was a way to alter that.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15288 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I'll get them for channels that have no relation to Spanish-speaking communities. Kinda strange.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
No, but the PoS terminal at HD came up with "pay now" in Spanish when I was checking out the other day. That was a bit annoying.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post