SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Audible.com audio books recommendation needed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audible.com audio books recommendation needed Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
I'll be driving across the country.

Let's hear some Audible.com audio book recommendations.

Don't really care about genre as long as it's engaging, interesting, action packed, edge of your seat, don't want to turn it off, etc.

So far, Island 731 peaks my interest.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I listen to a lot of audiobooks. These immediately came to mind as audiobooks that were extremely well done:

The Martian - Andy Weir
Game of Thrones series - George RR Martin
American Gods - Neil Gaiman (10th Anniversary full cast version )
The Liberation Trilogy - Rick Atkinson
Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield​ (look for the unabridged version)
Killing Rommel - Steven Pressfield

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the great courses history lessons. I started with the first civilization and have taken every course down through history and culture.

Aside from that, walt longmire, harry dresden: dresden files, magic 2.0, iron druid series, all of the robert heinlin books, brent weeks light bringer series keeps coming along.

My problem is i have 600 titles on audible and another 400 from cds. I wish I had it all on a list that i could post fir you.

A recent one I enjoyed is 'we are bob'. Another is Christopher G. Nuttal's books.

Final one, 'I am Pilgram'

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook Hardcore History podcasts by Dan Carlin. A number of them are free and average about 400 miles each.

Also, most libraries check out audiobooks.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Not audio books but I recommend the serial podcast, S-town podcast, true crime garage podcast (especially the 4 part series Boys on the tracks about the Arkansas murders of 2 teenagers by drug smugglers and cover up by Clinton cronies.)

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Mr Mercedes trilogy by Stephen King is pretty good. That should give you 30 some hours of listening.

Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion I enjoyed.

Just started listening to As You Wish. Cary Elwes memoir of his time involved with the filing of The Princess Bride. Very entertaining so far.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of my favorites have been

Game of thrones series
The Martian
Walt Longmire series
Jason Bourne Series
I also listen to quite a few of The Great Courses, my favorites have been "Lost Worlds of South America" and "Maya to Aztec: Ancient Mesoamerica Revealed"

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
So far, Island 731 peaks my interest.

I have that title and haven't been able to get past the first couple of chapters. It's simply too gory for me. If you like, I'd be happy to give this book to you--I think there's an Audible feature that allows that.

I'll second The Martian--great book and RC Bray does a fantastic job narrating. In fact, Bray's narration of this book is why I bought Island 731.

The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill. I've listened to this book countless times.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Driving across country the obvious answer, and best deal for price per word must be Atlas Shrugged. I listened to it in the car and covered enough distance to probably go coast to coast.

Nashville to St Louis, St Louis to Niagra Falls, Niagra falls through Canada & Detroit to Nashville, to D.C. & back and still had about 10% to go.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Ready Player One.

We are Legion (We are Bob)

The Forever War

Vlad: the last confession

I have listened to a few of the Great Courses and they're good but DAMN they're long. A 25 hour lecture on one topic if hard to take.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
If you like classic rock and/or autobiographies, I'd recommend Heaven and Hell (My life in the Eagles) by Don Felder.

It chronicles his life and the various people in the industry he met before joining the Eagles.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I will echo "The Martian" and "Ready Player One"

The Audible version of "Atlas Shrugged" is very good too, if you're up for a long one. It is more cerebral than it is action-packed but it engages early and keeps your mind involved.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Listening to Defeating Jihad by Sebastian Gorka right now and really enjoying it.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Bernard Cornwell historical novels.
I recommend starting with his Saxon Chronicles series. There are 10 books in this series, as listed on Amazon:
Saxon Chronicles

I've listened to a number of these on Audible (linked to the Kindle e-book) and the narrator is great.

Lots of blood and gore; the sex is "off-stage" as it were so it's OK for a young person to hear along with you if that's the case.

Cornwell is great at writing battle scenes. If you get hooked as I did you will seek out and read or listen to everything you can find by this author.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Bernard Cornwell historical novels.
I recommend starting with his Saxon Chronicles series.

Which was also made into a pretty good BBC TV series - "The Last Kingdom". Season 1 is currently available on Netflix. Season 2 is currently airing on BBC, and will be coming to Netflix later this year.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
Two audio books I really enjoyed

Ready Player One : Wil Wheaton

The Martian : Andy Weir

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein. The reader does a great job.

Any of the John Ringo series.

The Last Centurion by John Ringo if you are looking for a stand alone

The Terms of Enlistment series by Marko Kloos, It is military sci-fi.

The Day by day Armageddon series by JL Bourne if you want a good zombie apocalypse story.

The Mars series by Ben Bova

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Green Highlander:
The Last Centurion by John Ringo if you are looking for a stand alone

Forgot about that one. That's a big +1.

posted Hide Post
I did not mind Will Wheaton till he went all lemming and jumped off the political cliff. I really have a hard time listening to him.

Marko Kloos,

Larry Correia and Mike Kupari's Dead 6 novels are damn good.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Larry Correia and Mike Kupari's Dead 6 novels are damn good.

I forgot about Larry Correia. I've listened to all his Monster Hunter series and really enjoyed them. That's another series with a very good narrator.

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher is another favorite series.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post