Notify
Tools

Alien: Romulus Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Alien 3. Sorry. Great actors can't make that script work for me.

Did you watch the Special Edition which was David Fincher's workprint that was cleaned up? You still have premise issues which cannot be fixed, but once you're on Fury 161, everything else makes much more sense.

Posts: 4423 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Agreed. The "Assembly Cut" (Director's Cut) is far superior to the original Alien 3.

Whereas the Aliens Special Edition (Director's Cut) adds a little, but doesn't significantly improve Aliens. Though to be fair, Aliens doesn't really need any help, unlike Alien 3.

Posts: 33031 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This one seems like Teen Angst Alien to me

Posts: 34514 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanted to like Alien Romulus but...too many plot holes and plot devices. Visuals excellent for the most part, story premise solid, but it flies off the rails in the third act. The director and writing team, I feel, tried hard, but made too many mistakes in DRIVING the action. Still, worth a watch.

Posts: 3552 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to check out that alien 3 cut, thanks!

Posts: 3106 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just saw it. Once we get past the initial Alien vs. GenZ and the cast is suitably culled, the movie settles into your basic lone survivors running from the monster(s), some of which we haven't seen before. Numerous miracle saves as the heroes leap over monstrous plot holes and negotiate an overly complex storyline. Enjoyable up to the point where it feels like the world's greatest roller coaster ride that just goes a bit too long.

That all said, the one unifying element for me was lead actor Cailee Spaeny's riveting performance. She manages to single-handedly hold the whole thing together. They finally found someone of Sigourney Weaver's caliber to revitalize the franchise. She is already becoming a force to be reckoned with in the movie business.

Incidentally, I saw the whole thing alone in the theater for a weekday matinee.

[By the way, can someone explain to me the reverse buttpad?]

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16871 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We just got home from a matinee too. It isn't bad. Virtually everything written within (and without) this thread is evident and accurate when watching. The most accurate review had to be Critical Drinker's posted earlier in this thread.

For my wife and I, the girl was good, but David Jonsson who played Andy the damaged synthetic was the standout for us regarding best performance. Having to play two very distinct roles, he pulled it off very well.

We were also surprised to see a new sort of pupae like stage of the Alien's development between the Eel-like chest burster and the full sized alien. 99% of the sets and effects were truly spectacular, as was the score.

We don't go to movies anymore, but my wife was desperate to escape from the BS on her job, so we were off to whatever movie was starting that looked halfway watchable. Just barely missed the opportunity to see 'Reagan'.

Kkina, I just googled reverse buttpad before remembering it on the early 'pulse rifle'. Is it not possible that the rifle has so much recoil neutralized the the weapon could creep forward away from you under auto fire requiring that weirdo shoulder thing that goes up? Remember, the 'colonial' marines went back to LV427 Fifty Seven years after Ripley blew up the Nostromo. So the rifle had that long for refinement and improvement before 'Aliens'.

Posts: 7388 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
[By the way, can someone explain to me the reverse buttpad?]

It's part of the auto-aiming system.

It's a bit goofy and physics-bending, but essentially, the buttpad goes under the arm and around the back of the shoulder then the gun ratchets down and clamps the stock to the front and back of the shoulder. The rest of the gun then moves independently of the stock (using hydraulics) as needed to auto-aim, while the stock is held more stably in place on the shoulder to allow the shooter to better manage the recoil.

A little bit like those late 1990s/early 2000s "Cornershot" systems, except the gun can move on both the X and Y axes, and does so automatically.

One of those "the prop guys thought it was a cool idea, as long as the viewer just doesn't think too hard about it" kinda features.

Posts: 33031 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
I know.. I know..

But this auto aiming system would really be helpful in the future.. eg Aliens..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2708 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
They had that in Aliens, just not on the pulse rifle... Instead, it was the M56 smartguns that had auto-aim.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Is it true that Alien: Remus is under consideration? LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16507 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Almost certainly not, considering that the Remus side of the station was destroyed alongside Romulus.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Wondering about that, too...

"Asked if there will be a movie called ALIEN: REMUS, about the other brother, @fedalvar replied:

'Romulus is the murderous one. So to make a sequel about the one who gets killed and call it Remus… doesn’t feel like it’s going to be aggressive enough for the Alien franchise.'”

X

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16871 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Almost certainly not, considering that the Remus side of the station was destroyed alongside Romulus.

Could still be a prequel...or would it be a sequel...wait, I'm getting confused.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
They had that in Aliens, just not on the pulse rifle... Instead, it was the M56 smartguns that had auto-aim.

Oh.. I must've missed that.. thanks..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2708 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Your post reminded me of better times and better films. I read that and instantly thought of the great scene in Aliens with Vasquez, a great character. “LETS ROCK!!!!!!”

I have no clue if that was a M56 or whatever. I just miss great films, with great writing, direction, and acting Frown

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12920 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, Vasquez and Drake were armed with M56 smart guns.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Wondering about that, too...

"Asked if there will be a movie called ALIEN: REMUS, about the other brother, @fedalvar replied:

'Romulus is the murderous one. So to make a sequel about the one who gets killed and call it Remus… doesn’t feel like it’s going to be aggressive enough for the Alien franchise.'”

X

Nah, it's going to be Alien: Vulcan. Wrath of Xenopmorph.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I confess that i’m a bit lost but couldn’t REMUS be about how the bugs got there and eventually how the station got lost? An “Aliens” / El Alamo kind of glorious defeat?

Just sayin’

I’m all for that, truth be told, i guess few are those to go to the theater to watch the human wins….

We are short of alien vs humans veterans to lead the fight. R&R was Weylan’s private property. Hardly any official involvement

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12258 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^I think there could be a story there. For all we know Remus could have gone through their own infestation and a completely different drama.

However, the director has been talking more towards a continuation of Rain and Andy's story as they make the 9-year trek towards Yvaga III, which might not be as idyllic as they think.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."