SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Country Music by Ken Burns
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Country Music by Ken Burns Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the doc. Where was Glen Campbell? Little mention. His contribution and scope of work seemed ignored. Friend says they read his widow wanted $ for use of his historical info and that Burn’s reaction was to minimally cover him.

A Shame if true. Campbell figured large.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not see Jimmy Dean in there either,
I thought he was a very big deal in C.W. ,
but after searching for a while , I find that he was no where near big a deal as I thought

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54476 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I haven't caught any of this series yet, but some here might be interested in this interview Dennis Miller recently did with Ken Burns on his Podcast The Dennis Miller Option . The subject was specifically about this documentary Country Music.

I did enjoy the discussion.

https://castbox.fm/vb/188946874

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30282 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
There are more than a few artists who got little or no mention but, even with sixteen hours, it's understandable. FWIW Jimmy Dean may have had limited success as a music artist, he was a bit of a force on network TV with his variety show. I think that alone deserved a little notice.

There was next to no coverage of country music in the twenty-first century, just a quick montage of artists like **gulp** the Dixie Chicks.

I was amused they showed the execrable Billy Ray Cyrus singing "Achy Breaky Heart" with no name mentioned, more as a comment on the genre at that time. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8305 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Enjoyed the doc. Where was Glen Campbell? Little mention. His contribution and scope of work seemed ignored. Friend says they read his widow wanted $ for use of his historical info and that Burn’s reaction was to minimally cover him.

A Shame if true. Campbell figured large.

They talked a little about Glen's show as they were taking about Johnny Cash's show and Hee Haw.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
anyone see Willy on Austin city limits last night ?

They actually had a country singer on Autin City Limits ? That was a great program before the lefties took over the town and the show.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Glen Campbell is a very big part of country music history. After he passed little to no mention was ever made of his history with Tanya Tucker and their heavy cocaine use. That may be part of the reason the Campbell family keeps tight control of Glen's musical and personal life. Married 5 times I believe and in court for domestic abuse more than once. Extremely talented man with a dark side to match.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
anyone see Willy on Austin city limits last night ?

They actually had a country singer on Autin City Limits ? That was a great program before the lefties took over the town and the show.

I love a lot of the bands on ACL and think they fit well with the Austin scene and it's influence on all of music. Labeling everybody as country and not country would have kept a lot of the greats out of the club. Country Traditionalists didn't like Hank Jr and Waylon and Cash, either.

Posts: 10465 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My wife heard about the series and was really excited. She was raised in Nashville and went to school with children of some of the stars between about 1970 through the early 80s. While she wasn't a country fan herself, she was exposed to it a lot, including while working in a big drugstore on the south side of town where some of the stars shopped. She wasn't very impressed with the first half of the first episode, but decided to stick with it a little longer. She was glad she did and has since watched the entire series on demand and is now watching it again with me. Episode three is up next for us.

I'm enjoying it so far and will be interested to see if they touch on Marty Robbins. He's my favorite country/western singer from the 50s and 60s. The other one I'm looking for is Webb Pierce, though I really don't recall much about his music. My grandfather helped build his guitar-shaped swimming pool at his home (not the second one on Music Row).

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2089 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:

I was amused they showed the execrable Billy Ray Cyrus singing "Achy Breaky Heart" with no name mentioned, more as a comment on the genre at that time. Smile

I laughed at that too. But it is completely accurate. I had the misfortune to see Cyrus once (I was given tickets to the Houston Livestock Show on a night he played.) He was terrible. Awful.

Campbell was talented, and I like some of his music. (I also saw him at the Houston Livestock show in about 1970.) But I'm not sure I can say it was all that important. He slid right into the Nashville formula, and while he did it well, it wasn't innovative or groundbreaking.

And it is hard to talk about musicians of the last ten or fifteen years. It is hard to tell who will matter and who is a flash in the pan until a little time passes and perspective develops.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'm going in the weeds a little here, openly showing my ignorance.

As I noted, little mention of country music in the 21st century. That mirrors my awareness of it. I've paid little attention, nothing has cut through the haze as so much country music had always done the decades before.

I knew mega-megastar Garth Brooks but seeing him at Texas Stadium (?) flying around was just sordid. "Friends in Low Places" has it's appeal if not laid on pretty thick. So he shows up at a black tie affair in boots, feeling a little low and entertainment ensues.

I think of Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzel and countless others loving their time out honky tonkin', not giving a shit about what's happening at the country club or the velvet rope lounge. Class and contention aren't given a passing thought.

Garth sells class lines, inviting others to luxuriate in his, "low" as it may be. This pre-woke mentality helped give rise to country artists with bigger fish to fry, I'm thinking "Dixie Chicks". They're not alone these past couple decades and that music doesn't find it's way to me. Shut up and sing.

This is not to say social sermonizing is new, there was a time in the 60's such stuff was trotted out. Kind of trendy novelties then but celebrating our humanity, not drawing lines.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08QH3rVqokw

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9WsBT6uyXM

The best of the bunch --

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhw0lWpVZc

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8305 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I'm going in the weeds a little here, openly showing my ignorance.

As I noted, little mention of country music in the 21st century. That mirrors my awareness of it. I've paid little attention, nothing has cut through the haze as so much country music had always done the decades before.

I knew mega-megastar Garth Brooks but seeing him at Texas Stadium (?) flying around was just sordid. "Friends in Low Places" has it's appeal if not laid on pretty thick. So he shows up at a black tie affair in boots, feeling a little low and entertainment ensues.

I think of Hank Williams, Lefty Frizzel and countless others loving their time out honky tonkin', not giving a shit about what's happening at the country club or the velvet rope lounge. Class and contention aren't given a passing thought.

Garth sells class lines, inviting others to luxuriate in his, "low" as it may be. This pre-woke mentality helped give rise to country artists with bigger fish to fry, I'm thinking "Dixie Chicks". They're not alone these past couple decades and that music doesn't find it's way to me. Shut up and sing.

This is not to say social sermonizing is new, there was a time in the 60's such stuff was trotted out. Kind of trendy novelties then but celebrating our humanity, not drawing lines.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08QH3rVqokw

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9WsBT6uyXM

The best of the bunch --

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofhw0lWpVZc

posted Hide Post
they are still playing it here, I can't stop watching it,

I've seen all 8 episodes 2 1/2 times now

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54476 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post