SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Questionable scene in the Equalizer movie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questionable scene in the Equalizer movie Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
Now, firstly I've enjoyed this movie and watched it a few times but one scene has me wondering how it was pulled off. There is a scene when the power is largely off in this large warehouse and you can see Denzel grabbing small propane tanks off the shelves and he sticks them in a microwave that hasn't got power. Now the scene cuts and bad guy comes into the room and the breakers are turned back on and it shows the microwave coming alive and counting down a few seconds and "BOOM!" Is there a way of programing a microwave for seconds countdown without power?

Or is this just a Hollywierd stunt for the effects??

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Was it an older microwave with a timer dial? I sometimes still see those around.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Good question, Next time around I'll look for that. I just remember looking at the inside lights of the microwave coming on and seeing those propane bottles and..."BOOM!"

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall him telling the security guard to wait XX time then do something. Was it to hit some breakers?

I know, vague, but that is what I think I remember Smile

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16345 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Poacher:
I seem to recall him telling the security guard to wait XX time then do something. Was it to hit some breakers?

I know, vague, but that is what I think I remember Smile

Yes, but a modern microwave would not turn on when the power comes back on. An old dial type timer might.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
True

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
A technique stolen from under siege, Casey in the galley..

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Yea I did a search for an upcoming Equalizer and it comes up at pay preview but as often as it usually pops up on non-pay preview stations I'll wait. After reading some of the posts here, I'm now more determined to get an answer. Mostly in the past thinking about it I just assumed they did the scene and probably no one would notice if it slipped by. Maybe it was a rotary timer though...good answer on that one.

Regards, Will G.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Managed to catch it again and in that scene there's just a very quick frame that shows when the electricity is restored a quick "bee" and the propane bottles begin to rotate on the plate inside. You just get a glimpse of the black keyboard on the right side of the microwave, no rotating knob...oh well, at least I got an answer.

Regards, Will G.