SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Babylon 5 Reboot By Series Creator Ordered by CW
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Babylon 5 Reboot By Series Creator Ordered by CW Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted
If this was 5 or 6 years ago, I’d be excited about this news. Now, I’m not so sure.

‘Babylon 5’ Reboot in Development at The CW From Original Series Creator J. Michael Straczynski
Joe Otterson Sep 27, 2021 10:00am PT

https://variety.com/2021/tv/ne...aczynski-1235075236/

quote:
A “Babylon 5” reboot is in development at The CW, Variety has learned.

Original series creator J. Michael Straczynski is onboard to write the project. He will also executive producer under his Studio JMS banner. Warner Bros. Television, which produced the original series, will produce the reboot.

The new iteration of the sci-fi series is described as a “from-the-ground-up reboot.” In the series, John Sheridan, an Earthforce officer with a mysterious background, is assigned to Babylon 5, a five-mile-long space station in neutral space, a port of call for travelers, smugglers, corporate explorers and alien diplomats at a time of uneasy peace and the constant threat of war. His arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race.

Sheridan was played by Bruce Boxleitner in the original series, with the ensemble cast also including Claudia Christian, Jerry Doyle, Mira Furlan, and Richard Briggs. At this time, none of the original series stars are attached to the project.

The original “Babylon 5” ran in syndication and on TNT for five seasons, 110 episodes, and seven TV movies, including the 1993 pilot film. The show is considered one of the best sci-fi series ever made by many critics and won numerous awards throughout its run, including two Hugo Awards and a Saturn Award.

Straczynski followed up “Babylon 5” with the TNT spinoff series “Crusade.” The “Babylon 5” franchise also includes novels, short stories, and comic books.

Straczynski’s other work includes the Netflix series “Sense8,” which he co-created and showran along with the Wachowskis. His feature writing credits include the Angelina Jolie-led drama “Changeling,” the action-thriller “Ninja Assassin,” the story for the first “Thor” film, and the story for “World War Z.” He is also an accomplished comic book writer, having worked for DC and Marvel. He is head of the creative council for a new comics publishing company, Artists, Writers and Artisans (AWA).

Straczynski is repped by A3 Artists Agency and Gendler-Kelly.

What excited me originally about this was going through all of the little trap door that jms put in the original arc in case of unforeseen circumstances. jms was a master of hiding story elements in plain sight and giving us a Gibbs slap when the payoff occurred later on when we forgot. The Verge had a comment from jms on this announcement here, but I’ll paste the relevant bits (there’s also a link in the article about why remastering B5 will always be funky).

https://www.theverge.com/2021/...i-warner-bros-the-cw

quote:
To answer all the questions, yes, it’s true, Babylon 5 is in active development as a series for the CW. We have some serious fans over at the network, and they’re eager to see this show happen. I’m hip deep into writing the pilot now, and will be running the series upon pickup. The network understands the uniqueness of Babylon 5 and is giving me a great deal of latitude with the storytelling.

As noted in the announcement, this is a reboot from the ground up rather than a continuation, for several reasons. Heraclitus wrote “You cannot step in the same river twice, for the river has changed, and you have changed.” In the years since B5, I’ve done a ton of other TV shows and movies, adding an equal number of tools to my toolbox, all of which I can bring to bear on one singular question: if I were creating Babylon 5 today, for the first time, knowing what I now know as a writer, what would it look like? How would it use all the storytelling tools and technological resources available in 2021 that were not on hand then?

How can it be used to reflect the world in which we live, and the questions we are asking and confronting every day? Fans regularly point out how prescient the show was and is of our current world; it would be fun to take a shot at looking further down the road. So we will not be retelling the same story in the same way because of what Heraclitus said about the river. There would be no fun and no surprises. Better to go the way of Westworld or Battlestar Galactica where you take the original elements that are evergreens and put them in a blender with a ton of new, challenging ideas, to create something fresh yet familiar. To those asking why not just do a continuation, for a network series like this, it can’t be done because over half our cast are still stubbornly on the other side of the Rim.

How do you telling continuing story of our original Londo without the original Vir? Or G’Kar? How do you tell Sheridan’s story without Delenn? Or the story of B5 without Franklin? Garibaldi? Zack?

The original Babylon 5 was ridiculously innovative: the first to use CGI to create ships and characters, and among the very first to shoot widescreen with a vigorous 5.1 mix. Most of all, for the first time, Babylon 5 introduced viewers accustomed to episodic television to the concept of a five-year arc with a pre-planned beginning, middle and end…creating a brand new paradigm for television storytelling that has subsequently become the norm. That tradition for innovation will continue in this new iteration, and I hope to create additional new forms of storytelling that will further push the television medium to the edge of what’s possible.

Let me conclude by just saying how supportive and enthusiastic everyone at the CW has been and is being with this project. They understand the unique position Babylon 5 occupies both in television and with its legions of fans, and are doing everything they can to ensure the maximum in creative freedom, a new story that will bring in new viewers while honoring all that has come before.

Onward!

Besides the above comments on why the original was so good, jms took a neutral position on his world. He’s an adamant liberal atheist, but also wrote some of the most pro-religion episodes in science fiction. Yes, the arc was the reason you turned in every episode, but you also got gems like “Passing Through Gethsemane” which covers the nature of true evil, the possibility of redemption, and forgiveness.

While he’s also added to his writing skill in the last 30 years, he’s also become a full TDS “Trump is a Fascist” twatwaffle. I’m literally concerned that President Clark is going to be Trump 2.0 like the worst SNL skit.

Of course, jms also has the ability to know all of this going in and will subvert everyone’s expectations while still providing a damn good story. I’m still going to watch it and hope I’m wrong about all of this and hope that he uses the current situation in the world to explore some of the themes he was going to base Crusade upon, like trust and loyality.

But if I see anything with “Bad Robot” written on it, I’m out…

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
curious how this will play out,

it was a pretty damn good story, and a diverse group of actors,

other than updated effects (CGI has improved greatly) how much can they change?

yes, loaded question

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Meh.

You just know they are going to WOKE it to death with all sorts of space SJW's

Confused

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm not hopeful, considering it's The CW. Besides the obvious woke concerns, CW is known for their cheesy, fairly low budget shows with cheap CGI, primarily aimed at teenage audiences.

(Of course, the SciFi channel had a similar reputation back in the early 2000s, and they hit a home run with the Battlestar Galactica reboot, so who knows... Even a broken clock can take a nut from a blind squirrel, or whatever.)

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I was hyped for the He-Man continuation from Kevin Smith until it came out all woke.

Hoping JMS does the series justice.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Cautionously optimistic because I really loved B5.

On a side note, how can a clock take a nut from any squirrel let alone . . . Oh! I get it. Nevermind! The clock is like the clock in "Beauty and the Beast"! Makes perfect sense now. Sorry for the confusing thread drift!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
No. Just...no.

Social justice will be interwoven into many of the stories. What was a strong female character in Ivanova will become a caricature of LGBT wokeness. Garibaldi will become a right-wing clown who will be the constant focus of police brutality. The Centauri/Narn political conflict will become the First World and the forever oppressed Latino/Muslim nations.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
B5 was already full of diversity, great story telling, and I really enjoyed it. (well the last season was . . . odd.)

I heard that he created such detailed drawings of B5 that it could likely be built. He did an amazing amount of world building. Why would he F that up by rebuilding it? I guess I will have to wait for the Pilot and see what happens. But I am conflicted and apprehensive.

Which Babylon disappeared? did they ever resolve that?

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
Which Babylon disappeared? did they ever resolve that?

4. And yes. SPOILER ALERT: went back in time to save the Minbari.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved B5 when it first ran and I recently re-watched it with my wife (who had not seen it before) and I was reminded how much I enjoyed it, I will give this reboot a try if it happens but I do not hold out much hope given how much Hollywood has let us down these last decades.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
The CW has the worst writing on Television. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Posts: 2009 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
The Wokeness will be strong in them.

B5 was great, but Crusade was crap.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Crusade was also the best example that jms will walk if the studio or network interferes too much.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t have high hopes for this, and don’t know of anyone who wanted a reboot. What most people wanted was the original episodes redone in HD with better effects, not a reboot. I guess they are trying to do what the BSG reboot did, but the problem with that is that B5 already had a long complex story arc and was somewhat dark and gritty, which are the main things the BSG reboot brought over the original series.

Besides, who really wants to see other actors playing the characters that we loved in the original B5? Londo, Vir, G’Kar, etc. are always going to be associated with the actors who played them back in the mid 90s, and it’s a disservice to those who are no longer here to recast the parts.

I see this as ending up being more of a rewokening and overt political commentary on current politics, than any real improvement.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrewR:
I loved B5 when it first ran and I recently re-watched it with my wife (who had not seen it before) and I was reminded how much I enjoyed it, I will give this reboot a try if it happens but I do not hold out much hope given how much Hollywood has let us down these last decades.

I rewatched the series online a couple years ago,

I really like some of the characters and story arcs, and some were just atrocious,

still a good to great series that should be left alone

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Not optimistic, but I’ll keep an eye on it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would be nice if they just re did the cgi and released a remastered version. I’d also like to see them do space: above and beyond as well

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
If they are going to all that effort why not just create a new series?

What is it with re-makes and re-boots?

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
In this case it’s more cost effective to do a new series due to the original elements not preserved properly and according to jms’s twitter account, there was a WB exec that junked any and every opportunity to do anything with the B5 IP. Now that he’s gone, the CW is interested in developing a series.

Something else that also drew me to the series originally was that jms also broke ground by being the first writer/producer to interact with fans on usenet. If you check out a site called The Lurker’s Guide to Babylon 5, it catalogues jms’s commentary on questions fans sent him on usenet when the show was being aired. Nowadays it’s common, but it was one of the big reasons the show had a diehard and loyal following that followed the show through the rabbit’s nest hell hole of syndication. I still don’t agree with him on everything, but he still seems to believe you have the right to your own beliefs and opinions.

I do have faith that this won’t be a worthless cashgrab fuck up abortion like Alex Kurtzman Star Trek, and the original came around during a time where you knew the story before your saw it. I’m slowly warming up to it as long as jms is running the show. As soon as he goes, I go.

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I don’t have high hopes for this, and don’t know of anyone who wanted a reboot. What most people wanted was the original episodes redone in HD with better effects, not a reboot.

Yeah, I want B5 Remastered.

There is no point in rebooting the franchise - the story has already been told, and told VERY well.

Nobody can replace the actors for Ivanova, Delenn, Lenirr, Markus, Garibaldi, and ESPECIALLY not Londo, Vir, or G'kar. There is no room for improvement. Refresh the SFX and sound (and delete ALL of season 5), and be done with it. . .

quote:
I guess they are trying to do what the BSG reboot did, but the problem with that is that B5 already had a long complex story arc and was somewhat dark and gritty, which are the main things the BSG reboot brought over the original series.

I am a fan of the original BSG, but it was cheesy and campy, and only ran one season. There was room to improve and expand upon the story (though I never liked the 'human' Cylons). Here, there IS no such room for improvement, and the story is as complete as it could possibly be.

quote:
I see this as ending up being more of a rewokening and overt political commentary on current politics, than any real improvement.

Agreed. Imagine if they did the original show today. . . President Clark (the VERY bad Earth President who conspired to have his predecessor murdered and instituted an oppressive govt with martial law) would have a large blond wig with orange tinted skin, and the Crusade Plague would have a cure/vaccine, but right wing 'extremists' would be waging a campaign to suppress the public's access to it. Actually, the story arc with the Markab (a race that went extinct over the course of a single episode because they had all got a lethal disease) would be re-tooled to fit the covid narrative.

I don't see why anybody would want or need a B5 reboot. Now, they COULD move the story forward (gasp!). Yeah, I know - this is an unpopular concept nowadays. ST:Picard sucked, but at least they moved the story forward (unlike Disco, which is yet another prequel). They had B5: The Lost Tales, where they had a series of stories taking place in the B5 universe, years after the show ended. It ended up being a single episode with two stories - one with a demon or alien possessing a guy, (not very good, IMO) and the other an excellent one with Sheridan meeting a member of the Centauri royalty - he was young and impetuous, and Galen (the techno-mage) showed Sheridan that this guy would lead an attack on Earth in 20 yrs or so. Sheridan resisted the urge to kill the Centauri, and instead befriended him so he (Sheridan) could be a father figure/mentor. It was really good, and had state-of-the art SFX (this was 2007).

I also loved the pilot movie "Babylon 5: The Legend of the Rangers (To Live and Die in Starlight)." It was a 2002 movie centered around a new crew of Rangers, on a beat up old (haunted, of course) ship, fighting a new enemy. It was really good, but it wasn't taken up for production.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post