SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Best Coming of Age TV Series
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Best Coming of Age TV Series Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Very interested to see folks thoughts on their favorite Coming of Age TV Series.

I have a Top 3 starting with the best:

1. The Wonder Years



2. American Dreams



3. Dawson’s Creek




I always loved watching the Wonder Years and American Dreams. While they take place well before I was born I really feel like I would have enjoyed growing up in those eras.

As for Dawson’s Creek well that is the era I grew up in and miss it terribly! Cell phones really weren’t a thing, no social media, and I would have loved to grow up in such a town.



And for good measure the best Coming of Age Movie:

Stand By Me

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,


————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
 
Posts: 26955 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The Wonder Years.

It's not even close.


________________________________________________________
It is long past time for a Convention of States. The Founding Fathers gave us this tool to fix an out of control government and we need to use it.
 
Posts: 23111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Freaks and Geeks is up there.

My favorite was Family on ABC 1976-1980 (and currently on Tubi!). It wasn't all coming of age, but the episodes that focused on Kristy McNichol were. She was my first celebrity crush. My bedtime was 10 p.m., and it used to come on at that time. I used to sneak into the living room after Mom and Dad went to sleep so I could watch an episode.

I met Kristy McNichol at a Hollywood autograph show a few years ago. I told her my story and she gave me a free signed photo because she was touched.

 
Posts: 5682 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Here are two early ones
James at 15 (16)

I’ll add The White Shadow though that went beyond just coming of age stories.



“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.


 
Posts: 4572 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The Wonder Years.......and whatever is next way way down the list. Big Grin


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8788 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I like all the ones mentioned.
We liked American Dreams partially because my wife’s dad’s best friend is Will Estes grampa.
We were at her parents in Bend, Oregon at Christmas one year.
Will was there to hit Mt Bachelor with gramps for some skiing and we got to meet him.
Nice guy, and we’ve followed his career.
 
Posts: 1769 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have never seen any of these. Prime time commercial TV is just not for me.



"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock
"If there's one thing this last week has taught me, it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it." Clarence Worley
 
Posts: 9858 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Wonder Years was very ground breaking when it released and very well written. Never saw American Dreams and maybe was aged out when Dawson’s Creek was popular.


_________________________
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last” - Winston Churchil
 
Posts: 3380 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My favorite, I still consider it a well written show.




"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
 
Posts: 19697 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Leave it to be er
The middle





Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.



Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
 
Posts: 56480 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The Waltons


 
Posts: 7021 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Best Coming of Age TV Series

© SIGforum 2026