SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Tribute to Legendary Nashville Bass Guitarist, Michael Rhodes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tribute to Legendary Nashville Bass Guitarist, Michael Rhodes Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I’m heartbroken. Yesterday, Michael Rhodes, my favorite Nashville bass player died. I’ve seen him twice with Joe Bonamassa, and his was the first post I saw informing me of his death. He was so great, and brought such joy to the music he played.

He came to Nashville in 1977 and has been in high demand for both recording sessions an touring for a long time. He has played on roughly 60 gold and platinum selling albums.

I have probably posted this perf in the group before because of Vince Gill’s outstanding performance, this time, it’s a tribute to Michael. The perf below is from one of Clapton’s Guitar Festivals. Watch Michael and Billy Thomas locked in together, especially on the outtro.

He will be so missed, by so many.

Hmm. This video was available just minutes ago. Go ahead and click the link to YT

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I wondered if Michael Rhodes was a bit too obscure for casual music fans.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Obscure is the nature of bass players. But I recognized the name and who he was right away.RIP

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just saw him with Joe B. several months ago. RIP.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
[Michael Rhodes] incredibly long list of credits includes recordings for Willie Nelson, Etta James, Mark Knopfler, Alan Jackson, Stevie Nicks, Brian Wilson, Joss Stone, Dolly Parton, the (Dixie) Chicks, J.J. Cale, Wynonna, Merle Haggard, Randall Bramblett, Amy Grant, Hank Williams Jr, the Highwaymen, John Oates, George Strait, Kenny Chesney, Bob Seger, Dave Stewart, Keith Whitley, Joan Baez, Lionel Richie, Burt Bacharach, Aaron Neville, Johnny Cash, Lonnie Mack, India.Arie, Buddy Guy, Grace Potter, Billy Joe Shaver, Ruthie Collins, Michael McDonald, Dan Penn, Jennifer Holiday, John Fogerty, Elton John and Joan Osborne.
https://www.billboard.com/musi...des-dead-1235279997/

Peter Frampton shared this performance as a tribute to Michael.

Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I envy your having seen him twice live with Joe Bonamassa. My favorite Bonamassa videos are those with either Michael Rhodes or Carmine Rojas on bass. He was very talented.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post