SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Check out 'Freaks' if you wanna watch a really wierd flick.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check out 'Freaks' if you wanna watch a really wierd flick. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Freaks from 1932. You can read all about it on the IMDb link.

It's on Watch TCM now.

I watched it last night and had such bad nightmares that the dog went downstairs to sleep.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Gooble gobble! One of us!

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Saw it once back in the 80s. I really have no interest in seeing it again. It's kinda like driving by an accident scene.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another film equally disturbing because it is an actual documentary filmed at Massachusetts Correctional Institution, a state hospital for the criminally insane. I saw it when it first appeared. Titicut Follies is the name. Here is a brief trailer:

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in med school in the mid-sixties, we toured a state mental institution, in the days before patients were sedated with Thorazine. It was like something out of Dante's Inferno. I can't imagine working there on a daily basis.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
When I was in med school in the mid-sixties, we toured a state mental institution, in the days before patients were sedated with Thorazine. It was like something out of Dante's Inferno. I can't imagine working there on a daily basis.

all you gotta do nowadays is live in / visit any major city

unbelievable the mentally ill persons walking around

see it here in SW FL every day. have relatives in Vegas ... see it there also on pretty much every street corner not in the 'burbs

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
all you gotta do nowadays is live in / visit any major city

unbelievable the mentally ill persons walking around

see it here in SW FL every day. have relatives in Vegas ... see it there also on pretty much every street corner not in the 'burbs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Our mental health system is broken. These people were supposed to be treated in a community mental health center. These days they are either incarcerated or on the streets. Very sad situation if you are a chronic schizophrenic without financial means.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
While admittedly controversial in it's day, Tod Browning's Freaks is perhaps THE classic pre-code horror film. As for weird, give David Lynch's 1977 Eraserhead a look. It makes Freaks present like a Hallmark Hall of Fame holiday special.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
While admittedly controversial in it's day, Tod Browning's Freaks is perhaps THE classic pre-code horror film. As for weird, give David Lynch's 1977 Eraserhead a look. It makes Freaks present like a Hallmark Hall of Fame holiday special.

I see your "Eraserhead" and raise one "Gummo". Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:

I see your "Eraserhead" and raise one "Gummo". Smile

I have never seen "Gummo," (except for a few scenes) but I was going to mention "Eraserhead" as the weirdest movie I have ever seen. It is very strange, and I have a high tolerance for strange. I found it almost impossible to understand. I don't understand it.

From what I understand of "Gummo" is that it is set in a recognizable, but fractured middle America. I know it doesn't have any conventional narrative.

"Eraserhead" is surreal and fantastical, and it is sometimes difficult to say what is even happening.

Weirdness is subjective, but "Eraserhead" is it for me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
..I have a high tolerance for strange...

Then by all means see "Gummo". Smile

The thing about "Eraserhead", knowing David Lynch, I went in prepared. Not so for "Gummo" and yes, a fractured America as a basis doesn't make it any more comfortable.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
..I have a high tolerance for strange..

^^^^^^^^^
Do enjoy Fellini films? I just cannot stay interested. Same with Bergman"s Personna. I do like late Van Gogh though.

posted Hide Post
saw Gummo a few years back

definitely worth a watch if you are into weird

its like a glimpse into an alternate reality that actually exists in the margins of society

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post