SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Giant Movie, bad or good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giant Movie, bad or good? Login/Join 
posted
Been trying to watch the movie Giant. Is it me or was this movie as bad as it comes across? Big name actors, and James Dean's last of three movies. I never understood the fascination with James Dean, though he is a cult figure now. None of the performances by anybody in the movie seems true, maybe that was the Hollywood of the times. Scenery, sets, story seems almost cartoonist to me, but maybe I am not enough of a film buff to understand?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Is it me or was this movie as bad as it comes across?
Oh, brother. It's you. In a very big way, it's you.

The Angel Obregon homecoming scene from director George Stevens' film Giant

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite movies...they don't make'em like that any more.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Giant- very good film.

I just finished it on TCM.

It was made over 60 years ago.

I love movies, all kinds, all periods. But to this day, my favorite is Citizen Kane, made in 1941. Not to the technical standards of today's superhero movies, but damn, I love it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16688 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
James Dean died young and in a spectacular way. Teenage girls at the time sought to kill themselves as well when this happened. He was the great teen hero, as Sintra and the bobby soxers were too old.

Great film though not his best IMHO. Superb backdrop of Texas at the time reminded me of Gone with the Wind, though it was a different time and place. It is the kind of film I can watch again and again and see different things. I appreciate Elizabeth Taylor now more than ever. What a life she had from National Velvet to playing Cleopatra and one half of the drunk in Virginia Woolf. I happen to love epic films of a different time and place, such as Lawrence of Arabia and Ben Hur for different reasons. Hollywood seldom makes movies anymore based on great novels. Well each to his own.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never understood the fascination with James Dean, though he is a cult figure now.

Watch "East Of Eden", Dean's first major movie to see his natural talent. And IMO, his best role.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
One of my favorite movies...they don't make'em like that any more.

Next time you visit Texas, stop in Marfa (near Alpine) where Giant was filmed. Visit Hotel Paisano where movie cast stayed during filming in 1955. Various photos of Dean, Hudson and Taylor in the lobby.

Hotel was placed on National Historic list sometime before I stopped there.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edna Ferber novels were epic, but corny but today's standards. "Giant" is truly "epic."

The story at least touched a little on the poor treatment of the Spanish speaking population during the era.

I think Elizabeth Taylor was never prettier than in she was in Giant.

armadill0

Posts: 35 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: April 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armadill0:
The story at least touched a little on the poor treatment of the Spanish speaking population during the era.

It didn't just touch on, it's a major subplot of the movie.
As an epic, you see Bick's evolution, from being a Texas big-shot, land-owning archetype, who's dismissive of those who aren't like him (even white trash like Jett Rink), to recognizing the family around him has changed and his attitudes towards others. Angel perhaps being the son he always wanted and his death in war, his awkward but recognized consoling of Angel's father and long time ranch hand, Jordy marrying a Mexican wife and having kids, and ultimately Bick standing up and taking a beating from a bigoted diner owner who insults his grandchild.

Its a character arc that we see very little in film making today.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
its in my top 25 movies

I wonder how many criteria there are , when it comes to liking a movie?

1. rate the story
2. rate the message
3. rate the music /movie combination
4. rate the acting
5. rate the camera work
6. rate the continuity
7. rate the __________

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Great movie. I'm going to put it on my rewatch list. Damn, Liz Taylor was a hottie back then. Absolutely beautiful violet eyes.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post