Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Vietnam" AETN Login/Join 
posted
Any of you guys watching this Ken Burns documentary?

Make it count

Posts: 1412 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
yep

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Yes...I just turned it on.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of Ken Burns, so I won't be watching it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Burns' Leftist bias, I'll wait to read the reviews from forum members that served during that time or have an in-depth knowledge of the war before I view it.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in feedback and make sure that it is even balanced. Otherwise I am not inclined to view.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a young Marine I lived and experienced it. I don't need Burn's perspective of Viet-Nam.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm recording it. Caught the first episode last night and thought it was very well done, especially with the history behind our involvement in Vietnam and Korea post WW2.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I switched past it a few times tonight, seeing enough not to stay. I can't give it a fair assessment having seen so little but one thing that jumped out at me was the music. Almost criminally manipulative. Ken Burns, Peter Coyote, Nam? No.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
I am watching it. Interesting review of the history and how the French started the mess and then dropped it into our laps. Eisenhower was correct in his first approach to stay out of it.

The Vietnamese are good people who just want to live their lives in peace. The colonial countries of England and France were out of bounds on their involvement there. France wanted the rubber plantations.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I plan on watching once there are a few episodes available to watch in a row, as long as reviews are good and an agenda isn't too obvious.

I heard an interview with the filmmakers about it and they took 10 years to make it. There's so much footage of that war that most documentaries about it mostly use the same footage over and over because nobody has ever taken the time to review the thousands of hours of available film. They also went to great pains to add realistic sound when none existed.

They claim they tried hard to just tell the story from the perspective of the different sides, without any agenda, but of course we've heard that before. For now, I'm open minded about it.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burn's "documentaries" are always entertaining. Not necessarily 100% accurate and always biased/slanted in their point of view; but entertaining.

Lil" Skinny B. is a propagandist, not a historian. He's even admits it! Remember when the President of the Sons of Confederate Veterans disagreed with some of Lil' Skinny's portrayals in his Civil War video. Burns was challenged to a public
debate. Skinny refused, whining "I'm not a historian"!

Burns claims "The Vietnam War' has been ten years in the making. It's interesting they somehow failed to interview Hal Moore about the Ia Drang valley battles (which are significantly featured in one episode). I'd like to think Gen. Moore told the little leftist bastard "to eat shit and die"! Joe Galloway (only U.S. civilian awarded the Bronze Star for bravery in Vietnam) does comment on what transpired. Galloway talked his way onto a helicopter headed to the Ia Drang battle shortly after it began. I respect Mr. Galloway, but suspect he got "bought" as the 'special correspondent' for "The Vietnam War".

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Recording it. Also watched the first 2 episodes and so far looks good to me. I was in Nam in '69.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What I've learned so far:

Ho Cho Minh was a noble patriot who sacrificed everything for his country.

Colonialism is bad

Next up: Americans are bad.

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard all I needed to know when I saw that I think it was Vanity Fair gave it good reviews! Roll Eyes

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping that there's a break in the script, and a segment- at least 15 minutes long- praising FDR is inserted.

Oh, it has nothing to do with Vietnam, but if you saw the Ken Burns series on the Roosevelts, you'll know that FDR walked on water, so why shouldn't he show up randomly in other Burns' films? He is, after all, divine and omniscient, the savior of the world. Enthroned with God Almighty, he is.

No shit.

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'm hoping that there's a break in the script, and a segment- at least 15 minutes long- praising FDR is inserted.

Oh, it has nothing to do with Vietnam, but if you saw the Ken Burns series on the Roosevelts, you'll know that FDR walked on water, so why shouldn't he show up randomly in other Burns' films? He is, after all, divine and omniscient, the savior of the world. Enthroned with God Almighty, he is.

No shit.

Then Burns has some 'splanin' to do.

Ho Chi Minh had two very distinct features: 1) he was a nationalist who wanted independence for Vietnam, first from the French, then from the Japanese, then from the French again...; 2) He was a communist.

He wrote letters to Roosevelt (who was no fan of the French at the time) proposing an alliance against the Japanese, which would result in Vietnamese independence at the end of WWII.

Roosevelt ignored him and sided with the French. If Roosevelt was all about self-determination and anti-colonialism, then why did he support the French effort to re-occupy Vietnam?

IMO, it was a bad call. What did siding with the French get us? France was completely destroyed after WWII, they would have gone along with the Marshall plan even if we'd let their asses hang out to dry in Vietnam. We could have had an ally in SEA to contain China. The Vietnanese and Chinese aren't natural allies, but we helped push them together with the war in SEA.

We were friends with one communist already (Marshal Tito in Yugoslavia), so it wasn't like the US government had a moral obligation to fight communism everywhere it put down roots. Not investing in Vietnam or at least staying neutral bit us in the ass. And we supported plenty of other characters in the region who were far more distasteful than Ho Chi Minh, folks like Marcos and Suharto.

If Uncle Ho was so noble, then why didn't noble Roosevelt support him. Or conversely, if Roosevelt was so noble and far-sighted, why didn't he support Ho Chi Minh?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LDD,

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We followed the French because they were supposed to be our allies and swallowed the bait, hook, line, and sinker.
The north was communist but De Gaulle wasn't exactly a capitalist himself.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post