SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Help ID Film or Documentary Re: The 1964 Murder of Three Civil Rights Workers in Mississippi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help ID Film or Documentary Re: The 1964 Murder of Three Civil Rights Workers in Mississippi Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
After 30+ years, I rewatched Mississippi Burning (1988) last evening. I was surprised to discover that the early scenes depicting the murder of the three civil rights workers did not match my memory of the film. I recall a film or documentary based upon this case which depicts the murderers burying the bodies of the slain men under the earthen dam. In a particularly disturbing shot, the bodies were deliberately driven over with a bulldozer. Does anyone recall the scene I'm confusing with the opening of Mississippi Burning? Thanks.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poetic license and quite a bit of it. Stereotypical characters, overdone accents. I believe as deeply as they were buried heavy equipment was involved. Did not recall bodies being run over with a dozer.
Even the so called documentaries have lots of errors in them.
If you wish to study the subject, the University of Southern Mississippi has narrative accounts of signifcant individuals involved in the Civil Rights era. Much more enlightening than the Hollywood version of things or a Ken Burns documentary.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
ZMICHAEL - thank you very much for the USM lead. At this point, I'm not as much interested in corroborating the authenticity of the events as they were portrayed in the film but rather determining whether or not the scene I recall actually appeared in any film or documentary. I once read an article on false memory which described the Mandela Effect where multiple viewers mistakenly recall film scenes that never existed. As I rewatched Mississippi Burning, I was convinced the movie had been edited for content with the bulldozer scene deleted. I'm now beginning to suspect my memory of this exists only as my mind's eye interpretation of the events as suggested by some film or documentary rather than an actual scene I viewed. If anyone is familiar with this phenomenon and/or the article I have referenced, please feel free to comment. Thanks!

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mandela effect. President Bush recalled spending 911 watching an endless loop of the planes hitting the WTC. False memory as it was not shown until later.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post