SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix-The Professor and the Madman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix-The Professor and the Madman Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
The story of the beginning of the compilation of the Oxford English Dictionary.

You'd think it would be mind-numbing, but I recommend it.

Mel Gibson and Sean Penn.

For years, I have detested Sean Penn as a person and allowed that to color my opinion of virtually every movie he's ever been in. He was absolutely brilliant in this and, much as it pains me, I may be forced to cut him some slack in future efforts.

Mel was Mel. Good, but not outstanding.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15237 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it , very much.

0-o

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12118 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
The movie was quite good. I listened to the audiobook years ago, and it was fascinating.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6046 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I spent several very enjoyable hours watching it last evening. I probably would have skipped over it based on the short synopsis on Netflix had I encountered it by chance. Thanks for the recommendation.

Up until the earthquake in Haiti, I shared an opinion of Penn quite similar to yours. However, a relative who was there in the immediate aftermath with a medical disaster relief team met him several times and said he was nothing like his public Communist dictator-loving persona in person. He was responsible for getting some very important and much needed lifesaving equipment delivered when others, mostly large government organizations, were unable to do so and he did it without fanfare or camera coverage. I still find his politics loathsome but he seems to genuinely care deeply about those in dire need and is willing to put up not-inconsequential amounts of his own money to relieve suffering when he can.

Posts: 7315 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the OP and comments! I watched it as a result of seeing what SF members had to say and was thoroughly impressed by the production. Penn's presence made me think that the film was going to be another leftist go at the "all murderers are oppressed" narrative. Not that case here. The character played by Sean Penn was clearly guilty of a horrible crime, but also seriously mentally ill. His ability to accept responsibility for his acts and be accountable were real and the attempts by the staff of the facility where he was imprisoned realistically reflected their humanity. Not all homicides are "equal" and they shouldn't be dealt with by society alike (some are not only lawful, but commendable). This movie's script recognized the importance of individual accountability according to the law and how that extended to those charged with enforcing the law in a very positive manner.

On the historical aspect: I loved learning about the how and why the English Oxford Dictionary came to be. Mel Gibson's portrayal was excellent and the practical as well as political forces at work to prevent the project from being accomplished were very interesting to learn about.

Really a great movie!!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10203 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I really enjoyed and like others have said, the acting was very realistic in my view.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm shutting it off half way through because I really need to get to bed. But it's really good. So far everyone's been wonderful, I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't need explosions and car crashes in every movie. Smile

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Very good and highly recommended.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would agree with all your comments on this movie. Maybe Penn's best work, it was definitely worth the watch. Thumbs up.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I have the completely opposite opinion. Yes, the acting was good but the movie’s plot was so uninspiring and boring that I really didn’t care what happened by the end of the movie. Boring...

The movie’s Wikipedia page even says Gibson fought the release of this version of the film with the studio and wanted to make additional edits. Gibson essentially disowned the film.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...and_the_Madman_(film)

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
Just finished it and agree it is definitely worth the watch. Great story and acting all around.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
The movie’s Wikipedia page even says Gibson fought the release of this version of the film with the studio and wanted to make additional edits. Gibson essentially disowned the film.

Well the good thing is it's wikipedia so basically anyone can go change it to. lol

According to Rotten Tomatoes, most people don't like it. But then again, most people are idiots.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:

Well the good thing is it's wikipedia so basically anyone can go change it to. lol

According to Rotten Tomatoes, most people don't like it. But then again, most people are idiots.

Okay, here’s another source for you...

https://deadline.com/2019/04/m...reaction-1202589514/
quote:
“This was a labor of love for the entire creative team, and it is unfortunate for all concerned that this film was never finished as written,” Gibson declared. “I regret that this film will never be seen as it was meant to be. Making it was never about money for Icon, it was about bringing this amazing story to the big screen. Sadly that has not happened in the way it could have.”

“The Voltage version of this film is a bitter disappointment to me,” the actor concluded.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Acting was good, but I really did not enjoy the way they presented the story. My wife did not enjoy it either.

Posts: 17892 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

For years, I have detested Sean Penn as a person and allowed that to color my opinion of virtually every movie he's ever been in. He was absolutely brilliant in this and, much as it pains me, I may be forced to cut him some slack in future efforts.

He is a brilliant actor. Been watching him for 40 years, since the movie “Taps”.
I just ignore his politics and commentary on anything.

I liked this film very much. Penn was usual outstanding and Mel nailed the Scottish accent and was solid. The actors playing the staff at Oxford, with the nose in the air, nailed it but that’s easy for a British actor to be a pompous ass Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Like others, I may not have watched it, but based on the replies of a lot of SF members I did. I really did enjoy it.

Thanks for the heads up!

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post