SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    As a species we're fundamentally insane.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Want another reason to get the hell out of here? I'll give you the best one: her. Mrs. Carmody. Our very own Jim Jones. I'd like to leave before people start drinking the Kool-Aid.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Which is why were are much more functional as small tribal communities rather than existing in massive metropolis centers connected to everyone's thoughts.

Posts: 10828 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
It was pretty well documented years ago, back in the 50s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink

Explanation
The specific voluntary crowding of rats to which the term "behavioral sink" refers is thought to have resulted from the earlier involuntary crowding: individual rats became so used to the proximity of others while eating that they began to associate feeding with the company of other rats. Calhoun eventually found a way to prevent this by changing some of the settings and thereby decreased mortality somewhat, but the overall pathological consequences of overcrowding remained.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Which is why were are much more functional as small tribal communities rather than existing in massive metropolis centers connected to everyone's thoughts.

That could explain (or explain in part) why we are this way. We like to be in tribes and smaller groups. And we disliked the other group because they were competing with us for berries and antelopes.

Now we create these artificial tribes, and still hate the other tribes because we are wired up that way.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shit out of them, no more rules.”

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“You don't have much faith in humanity, do you?

"None, whatsoever.”

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
To keep this thread on track, and not analyze the OP's statement as if it wasn't a movie quote...

quote:
Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is 'expiation'.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I finally figured out a few years ago, I'm a little slow, that we humans are all basically 'tribal' and want to be in a group and then discount other groups.

Then there are a few of us who are loaners and will eventually wander off in the desert to die...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post