New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vivaldi Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
lol. Good, I'm not the only one swimming backwards. Smile

I'm not an expert but I've listened to several versions of Four Seasons, including the Perlman/London version. Which lead to questions about interpretation and technical accuracy.

I've largely settled on The English Concert version with Pinnock, Standage. I'm partial to their interpretation and pacing.

I'm expanding to other works by Vivaldi and/or English Concert.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13079 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two versions of Four Seasons that I've long preferred and enjoyed includes the performance by Seiji Ozawa and The Boston Symphony with Joel Silverstein on fiddle. It was originally released on the old Telarc label and is available for streaming on Amazon Music. If you're going for Vivaldi-time period correctness, this performance isn't it. If you're into a modernistic, sharp and almost analytical approach, then this recording fits the bill. This one got me through a lot of late nights at the office. The second is a chamber ensemble cast recording lead by Janine Jansen on violin, released on Decca. Just a stunning performance by Jansen with a far more intimate accompaniment than the usual orchestra setting.

Ozawa: https://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi...ntonio/dp/B000003CSU

Jansen: https://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi...s%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-1

I've liked a number of Trevor Pinnock's works with the English Concert, but I've only heard his version of the Four Seasons that was on Deutsche Grammaphon. To me the character of this version is a lot like the Ozawa/Boston Symphony recording: clean, crisp and modern, even though it's supposedly played on period-correct instruments. Not necessarily what someone wanting a more period-accurate sound, pace and arrangement might prefer.

-MG

Posts: 2203 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
lol. Good, I'm not the only one swimming backwards.

Only thing that matters is you're enjoying the music.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16871 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post