Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vivaldi Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I've been listening to the Four Seasons repeatedly. At least once a week. I really enjoy it.

When I was younger, I (thought I) liked Mozart, Beethoven and other 'big' names. And I still enjoy Mozart operas (Figaro, Cosi, Giovanni, etc). Entertaining and delightful. Sonatas, concertos, symphonies.

But the more I listen to Vivaldi, and expand into his other works, the more I enjoy it. It elegant yet simple. I think I enjoy it more than the more complex, genius works of Mozart, et al.

Is this weird? My image of baroque had been 'beginner level' music leading into the more complex classical and romantic eras.

But to me, baroque and Vivaldi (in particular with Pinnock) has a pleasing level of sophistication yet simplicity. I enjoy it more than Mozart. Maybe it's just still new to me?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13079 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Actually that is fairly common, almost a trope. Starting with Baroque, e.g. Bach or Vivaldi. Moving on to the energy of Mozart. Then finally settling down with Beethoven after one has "lived" a bit. Basically what I did.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16871 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ok. That sounds about right. I'm going backwards I guess. My life is a series of regressions.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13079 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Actually that happens, too. Going full circle then "back to Bach" (or Baroque in general).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16871 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Give Max Richter Recomposed Vivaldi’s Four Seasons a shot. There appears to be at least two different named releases of it. “The New …” and “Recomposed”

Your subwoofer will have some fun.

Discovered it not too long ago and I listen to it frequently. Sounds fresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T0MFCX9SLI

Hope you enjoy it.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12258 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Always enjoyed Vivialdi [esp Winter], since high school.
The above Richter mix is good as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15967 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Give Max Richter Recomposed Vivaldi’s Four Seasons a shot. There appears to be at least two different named releases of it. “The New …” and “Recomposed”

Your subwoofer will have some fun.

Discovered it not too long ago and I listen to it frequently. Sounds fresh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T0MFCX9SLI

Hope you enjoy it.

0-0

This is very lovely version to enjoy! Thx.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10985 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Give Max Richter Recomposed Vivaldi’s Four Seasons a shot.
<snip>

Good tip. I also like Richter‘s “Exiles”.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9429 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Vivaldi’s Cum Dederit (Andante) [Nisi Dominus (Psalm 126)

Posts: 13860 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Is this the Richter edition/version I should order?

https://www.amazon.com/New-Fou...d_i=B09SVYS8WF&psc=1

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39212 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^ Apple Classical.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9429 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Is this the Richter edition/version I should order?

https://www.amazon.com/New-Fou...d_i=B09SVYS8WF&psc=1

Honestly, i don’t have a clue but guess the answer is YES. That is the first i downloaded before figuring there was another so it must be the one i listen to.

Here’s the less well know , to me, version/cover.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...%93_The_Four_Seasons

You won’t be dissapointed with either.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12258 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Baroque music, especially Vivaldi, usually has a great, steady, upbeat rhythm. My wife says she likes it the best because it's simple. She used to play the double violin concerto with a friend when I was in med school.

Posts: 18343 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Christopher Parkening's renditions of Vivaldi with guitar and orchestra are excellent.

Posts: 6719 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popped up last night...big Ray Chen fan here.

Posts: 764 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39212 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
If you like classical guitar one of my favorites is Vivaldi's Chamber Concerto in D Major, RV 93. Look up featuring guitarist John Williams. Not the composer/conductor. The Australian guitarist. I once heard Steve Howe take a crack at the second movement. Not even close.

Posts: 7648 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a soft spot for Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" also!
The recording that hooked me was an 'I Musici' performance with Roberto Michelucci on violin, on Philips label, recorded in '69.

Posts: 343 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more just for the WOW factor...

Posts: 764 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Ok. That sounds about right. I'm going backwards I guess. My life is a series of regressions.

I was the same. I started my classical music experience listening to Beethoven, then Mozart, and finally baroque. More empty spaces, more air in the music. I love the Four Seasons (I have the Itzhak Perlman/London Harmonic CD), you'll love L'ostro Armonico Op.3. Also Vivaldi's Concerto for Strings.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17146 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post