SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    News Of The World
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

News Of The World Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
All I knew was what I gathered from the previews and figured it for a western.

Well, it's more of a veteran's post war story.

Tom Hanks did a good job carrying the movie. Bonus points for the little girl not screaming for two hours straight like the urchin in War Of The Worlds did.

He could fight with his wits as well as weapons. Must be why he was an officer because he had an education.

There was only two possible anachronisms with the weapons as the the Schofield was a new weapon in 1870 and I doubt there were many of them in Texas, much in the hands of less poor Southern veterans. The Remington conversion would not have been a veteran's gun, especially if he was poor and couldn't afford the conversion to cartridge firing when cap and ball was prevalent up until the turn of the century. But hey, cartridge guns make for good cinema.

Tabitha caught on really quick not even knowing the history or why the Captain did the job he did.

Overall it is an entertaining movie with enough action and no frustrating stupid drama.

Guns ran out of ammo, water was scarce, wounds were severe and it took the fight right out of them immediately.

Marzy gives it 4 AACKS out of 5.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34118 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Do you still have to pay separately to see it?

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got it in the Redbox tonight.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34118 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
As far as accuracy goes what about the ease that they kept emptying and in one case refilling with coins and using the shotgun shells?

It was also interesting how post war Texas was being policed by the north and had laws controlling who could possess firearms. The movie had a lot of historical glimpses that I liked.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
BP shotshell cases were only held together with wads.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
BP shotshell cases were only held together with wads.

You mean the girl didn't have a crimper on her?

This was the first fairly positive review I've seen on the movie, so saw it on that basis. I liked it. Kind of a Dances With Wolves feeling. And yes, that non-screaming kid was awesome.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16356 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
It was also interesting how post war Texas was being policed by the north and had laws controlling who could possess firearms. The movie had a lot of historical glimpses that I liked.

I noticed a couple small non-anachronisms, intentional or not. The meningitis epidemic, and the sunk ferry.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16356 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
As far as accuracy goes what about the ease that they kept emptying and in one case refilling with coins and using the shotgun shells?

I rented it on Prime for $5 and we enjoyed it.

The Yankee Army being in charge of rebel states was called military reconstruction. This punishing was instituted by the "Radical Republicans" and is why the south was a Democrat stronghold for the next 100 years.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post