SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Money pit...a BOAT
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Money pit...a BOAT Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
Last summer my dealer offered me $15k more for my 2017 ranger than I paid for it NEW. They had NO inventory.

I've gotten several emails from my dealer offering to buy my ski boat. But I have no interest in selling at the moment. I've put about 400 hours on it above the 800 it had when I got it in April 2016 and I'm pretty sure I could easily sell it for 7-8k above what I paid for it in this market.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
The boat market is ridiculously tight right now (and has been since covid hit and much of the population had checks from the government and no work). Ordering a new boat is a year out (or more) for most manufacturers and as a result the used boat market is crazy. Last summer my dealer offered me $15k more for my 2017 ranger than I paid for it NEW. They had NO inventory. I refused to be without a boat for that long (I fish 40 - 50 days per year in MN). Like the new/used vehicle market - it's still a net loss for me unless I was already looking at upgrading (new boat prices have increased 8 - 15% per year for the past 3 years).

If the covid panic is ever allowed to end we should see a period of self correction where people are tired of making large boat payments for a toy that they can only use a few times per year. Until that correction happens prices will be high and boats often sell for OVER asking in less than an hour (at least up here).

Some good advice above - watch for transom rot in older lunds - an 18'+ boat is a good size for fishing - handles bigger water, is more stable and you can fish 3 - 4 guys comfortably. Get a full windshield model so you can hide behind it if it's windy or the waves are rough and you're busting through them. Get max HP or close to it for the hull. No one has ever said they wish they got a smaller engine. A smaller engine will struggle to get the boat on plane and keep it on plane - resulting in poor fuel economy and poor handling.

Outboard brand - this is a chevy/ford/dodge comparison. All of the big brands put out a quality product - one may have an edge in on category or another, but THE single most important consideration would be a GOOD service center that isn't hours away. Get a brand that they know and regularly support/work on. If you have to spend a day driving to drop the boat off and a day to pick it up when it needs service/repair you'll quickly tire of that hassle and it will greatly reduce your enjoyment.

This is very good info. Thank you very much for your input. Exactly the kind of stuff I need to be thinking about.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
We have both, but I’m not sure they’re the kind you are thinking about. Both are utility boats with tiller motors.

The first one, a 14’ Alumicraft F14 from the 1980s with a 1983 9.9HP Honda 4-stroke. We paid $1,500 for both and a trailer about 7 years ago. It’s enough for the inland lakes in northern Michigan, but it could really use more HP.

The second is a 16’ Lund SSV-16 with a 30HP Suzuki we paid about $10,000 for including trailer new 2 years ago. We have this one on the Peace River in Florida and have taken it to the Keys twice (towed behind my wife’s vehicle, not by water Wink ). We have the 20” transom which really helps in a following sea. The motor has electric start and trim. It starts fine with the rope pull start as well. The boat and motor are a great combination. It runs about 25mph wide open with my son and our gear. It doesn’t use much gas or draw much water.

It’s really hard to beat these simple boats.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
If you're doing this, my recommendation would be to forego the kicker and get yourself a good trolling motor with separate batteries. It'll do everything a kicker will do and so much more.

I put a Minnekota Ulterra on mine and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Spot Lock is a godsend.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
If you're doing this, my recommendation would be to forego the kicker and get yourself a good trolling motor with separate batteries. It'll do everything a kicker will do and so much more.

I put a Minnekota Ulterra on mine and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Spot Lock is a godsend.

A kicker and a bow mount trolling motor are really used for two different things and both have their place. Position fishing/working a piece of structure - bow mount/spot lock hands down (I don't even carry an anchor anymore). Trolling cranks at 2+ mph (walleye) or 4+ mph (musky) my bow mount would kill the batteries in a VERY short time (I actually don't think it could get my rig up to 4mph in any kind of wind). A kicker shines in that role - I can also use it to help take the load off my bowmount in heavy wind/current when I'm working slow. It's also a second (albeit slower) IC engine with a quite large range if my main goes out (30 gallons of fuel is a lot of hours at 1gal/hour)

Cons are more weight (although a modern 9.9 kicker is only about 20lbs heavier than 1 group 31 deep cycle), maintenance on another IC engine and of course additional cost. While the main could be used for trolling - it may not troll down as slow and I'd rather put hours on a $1500 engine than those same hours (idle rpms) on a $15000 engine.

Bass and panfish guys don't run kickers for a reason - they simply don't fish that way. Walleye, salmon, multispecies guys typically do so they can troll all day at speeds between bowmount speed and main engine speeds.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am a boat guy. A boat with an EFI Honda motor is a good choice. Go efi era on a four stroke.

I would go to the bigger end of your spectrum.
More usable room is nice. The motor splash well take up a lot of room on many boat.

There are many brands. Hewescraft, G3. The custom road can be a good one on used boats. Wooldridge is an excellent boat.

I use fiberglass now as I generally fish big water.

Good luck. I won't say that boats can be a costly adventure. But there is nothing like being on the water for some of us.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
So I found this 2006 with a Yamaha 115 four stoke. I need to clean her up and go over everything. Suppose I'll need a bank loan so I can put gas in it to go fish. Looking forward to spring! Now I need to find a 5hp kicker or so....

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post