SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Money pit...a BOAT
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Money pit...a BOAT Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
Ya hear folks talking about a boat being a hole in the water you throw money into. Despite that, I'm debating saving up and buying a used boat. It can't be new, I don't have those kinds of funds. I think I'd like a 17 to 19 footer, probably metal, likely a Lund or Alumacraft type. Most likely an outboard, but I'm open for suggestions.

I'd like to do some trolling, so a small kicker is probably needed too. I don't want it to be open either. I'd kinda like to be able to get out of the wind too. What do you folks think? Idea's do's and don'ts It's been 10-12 years since my last boat, so I do have some experience. But I'm always open for new ideas and such. Thx.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
There's a saying about the three F's, if it flys, floats or, we'll you can guess, rent it.
No matter how much it seems like that's more expensive, it's not.
Not even close.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only advice is to get one with a Yamaha engine. I fought with a few different Mercury's over the years and even when they ran, I was never confident they would stay running or start again. I have a yamaha on my pontoon now and its wonderful. My pontoon sat for two months and it fired right up when I took it out last weekend.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not a boater but have known a few

everything i have learned is -- if you use it FREQUENTLY it can be worth it

if its just a 'once in a blue moon' thing -- not a wise expense.

i never got into boating because with a large family -- there was always busy stuff going on otherwise. so would never have used it much.

but if you're retired and might potentially use it a couple times a week -- could be a fun hobby

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The boat you are looking at can be fairly inexpensive, provided you get a reliable motor that you can do work on. Marine motor repairs are outrageously expensive. And when buying dont just focus on the boat, look hard at the trailer too. Check the winch, hitch / safety chains and having a mounted spare trailer tire on it is gold. Never buy gas at the dock or marina!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
B.O.A.T - Break out another Thousand...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up with parents who had boats and an RV.

I can tell you that one thing that sucks up money faster than a boat and an RV is a track car.

Looking at the prices of planes and aviation mechanics, I am pretty sure that is also a fast way to make a small fortune from a large one.

Like with all the toys it isn't just the toy itself that you need to account for funding-wise.

There are the ancillary costs, issues, parts, tools, accouterments, and maintenance of all those things together.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're gonna get one, make the engine a 4-stroke.

Posts: 3596 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm only going to suggest that you think really hard about how much you will actually use it, if the answer is often and that's not going to change, get it and enjoy. Yes they are money pits

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Anyone have experience with any of the brands I listed...or others? Thx for all the info folks.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Anyone have experience with any of the brands I listed...or others? Thx for all the info folks.

My dad has had both of those, his current is an alumnicraft. (Edit I had it backwards, had the alumicraft, now has lund.)

He fishes the Columbia river in Oregon for the most part.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From my dad.

"My boat is a Lund model 1950 Magnum with. 150 horse Verado which is supercharged. Very deep now and the last year that the magnum model was configured with a full side height wall between the transom and the interior
Compartment. Very strong and rough water capable. Probably won’t sell it because it is irreplaceable for the $34,000 we paid for it. Closest thing now is we’ll above $80k. That’s inflation for you.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
My only experience is on my fathers Duroboat, and my friends Smokercraft when he had it. Some things to consider, do you need an extra freeboard model for your waters? Get Yamaha motors, as long as you have a decent Yamaha mechanic in your area. Keep your kicker on its own fuel tank, two fuel sources are better than one. If the trailer is older, check the axle for rust. It’s not fun when an axle snaps as you’re towing it. Check the transom and it’s bracing for warp. Many boats are lacking in transom strength, especially if it was designed in the 2 stroke era. Get and use a transom saver. What kind of fishing?

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
My only experience is on my fathers Duroboat, and my friends Smokercraft when he had it. Some things to consider, do you need an extra freeboard model for your waters? Get Yamaha motors, as long as you have a decent Yamaha mechanic in your area. Keep your kicker on its own fuel tank, two fuel sources are better than one. If the trailer is older, check the axle for rust. It’s not fun when an axle snaps as you’re towing it. Check the transom and it’s bracing for warp. Many boats are lacking in transom strength, especially if it was designed in the 2 stroke era. Get and use a transom saver. What kind of fishing?

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look some of those things up. I think lots of trolling. But definitely some casting and such. I really don't ever see any skiing or such. Too old and no kids close by to want to drag around.

FBLM LGB!

Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I bought a 1995 252 Sportcraft at the end of 2020 fishing season.
I am on Lake Erie, Walleye Capitol of the World.
I knew it needed some work, but ended up with a LOT of work I didn't know about.
I bought it for 8K and the last two yrs have put another 5K into the out drive and flywheel cover/ bearings.
I am pretty mechanical and did not feel confident doing the work myself.
LOTs of other work I did.
I feel confident the boat is in good shape and I use it alot for fishing and a bit for pleasure. The dock I have does not allow you to bring in your own fuel so I am forced to buy the Marine fuel from one of two different pump. Both are 90 octane ethanal free Marine fuel that is always a buck more per gallon than fuel on the street.
I have been looking at comparable boats online and they are hard to come by and pricey.
I figure if I use it for 10-12 yrs and junk it thats a little over a grand a year for my retirement fun and hobby. Plus always having enough walleye in the freezer is GOOOOOD!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

My dad has had both of those, his current is an alumnicraft. (Edit I had it backwards, had the alumicraft, now has lund.)

He fishes the Columbia river in Oregon for the most part.

Thx for the note!

FBLM LGB!

posted Hide Post
Definitely agree on Yamaha 4 stroke motor. Have had tbree Yamaha PWC's and none were ever in the shop. Do metal boats get hotter in the sun than fibreglas? Do they float if capsized. Guess they do, just no experience with them. Trailers are the real source of aggravation between lights going out and spending time on the side of the road with a blown wheel bearing. Keep the wheel bearings greased. It's the going in and out of water that kills them, especially salt water. Have fun.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
4 stroke Suzuki or Yamaha for motor. Watch for transom rot on used Lunds. Yes boats are money pits but trailering a small aluminum boat is not so bad comparatively speaking. Take good care of the motor and trailer. Trailer maintenance is easy, no idea why so many people neglect taking care of them.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thx for the note!

Not a problem. It is a good boat. The prices of the engines are stupid crazy right now.. His is well set up with dual 18inch fish finder screens. Trolling moters etc.

posted Hide Post
The boat market is ridiculously tight right now (and has been since covid hit and much of the population had checks from the government and no work). Ordering a new boat is a year out (or more) for most manufacturers and as a result the used boat market is crazy. Last summer my dealer offered me $15k more for my 2017 ranger than I paid for it NEW. They had NO inventory. I refused to be without a boat for that long (I fish 40 - 50 days per year in MN). Like the new/used vehicle market - it's still a net loss for me unless I was already looking at upgrading (new boat prices have increased 8 - 15% per year for the past 3 years).

If the covid panic is ever allowed to end we should see a period of self correction where people are tired of making large boat payments for a toy that they can only use a few times per year. Until that correction happens prices will be high and boats often sell for OVER asking in less than an hour (at least up here).

Some good advice above - watch for transom rot in older lunds - an 18'+ boat is a good size for fishing - handles bigger water, is more stable and you can fish 3 - 4 guys comfortably. Get a full windshield model so you can hide behind it if it's windy or the waves are rough and you're busting through them. Get max HP or close to it for the hull. No one has ever said they wish they got a smaller engine. A smaller engine will struggle to get the boat on plane and keep it on plane - resulting in poor fuel economy and poor handling.

Outboard brand - this is a chevy/ford/dodge comparison. All of the big brands put out a quality product - one may have an edge in on category or another, but THE single most important consideration would be a GOOD service center that isn't hours away. Get a brand that they know and regularly support/work on. If you have to spend a day driving to drop the boat off and a day to pick it up when it needs service/repair you'll quickly tire of that hassle and it will greatly reduce your enjoyment.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post