SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    C-119 flying box car

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
C-119 flying box car Login/Join 
posted
Is there a modern day equivalent ?

that will do what it did,
either in the military or civilian use.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
C-130?
Osprey?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I guess the C-130 is the closest that is currently out there in our inventory, although it is quite a bit bigger.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I didn't know they made gunships out of those. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_AC-119

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The C-130 is the direct replacement as it's turboprop engines were the big upgrade.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Maybe the C-27J Spartan.

Oh wait...

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...ns-article-1.1479580

What a shame. I flew the A-model C-27s down in Panama back in the day. Even then the Air Force limited our takeoff and landing weights to extend the service life of the airframes - and then sent them to the boneyard. Well, a few kept flying in and out of Peru for a few years with some other guys, but they were all parked well before their service lives. The Air Force just cannot seem to come to grips with a short-haul tactical airlifter. Hell, when I was in Panama we did the whole TAC/SAC/MAC transition to the new commands and we ended up in ACC with a B-1 guy in fucking Langley in charge of us. Yeah, tell me how to do that NDB circling approach into Yurimaguas again?

Sorry, rant off but this is the first time I have seen my beloved Chuck-27 mentioned on SF!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The C-130 is the direct replacement as it's turboprop engines were the big upgrade.

I am no aviation expert but I am thinking this.

You really cant get any smaller than the C130 on a practical basis because lots of equipment - like the HMMWV, Stryker, LAV, etc are designed to be air-transported... and that dictates the min. size of the aircraft.

And honestly - the C130 is pretty small. I jumped out of them in the Army and remember thinking they really are pretty cramped when you put 60-70 paratroopers in one.

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
The Mighty Chuck-27 was as wide as a C-130, just not as long.

We could take standard pallets or Humvees. Of course we could only take three of them.

But we only needed 1500x45 feet of dirt to get in and out. That opened up a LOT of airstrips in central and south America.

Anyway, there was the capability to haul standard loads - the Air Force just hated it.

I have to add - we did do the airdrop thing for a year or so but then everyone figured out that the only advantage a C-27 had over a C-130 was a shorter landing distance, but with a smaller payload so if you were not landing, and just dropping stuff, why even bother with a C-27?

So we stopped that nonsense.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.ruudleeuw.com/c119-info.htm

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
They just refinished re painting the one by the jump towers at Benning.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Report This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
The C-119 Flying Box Car played a role in supplying the French Troops in the battle of Dien Bien Phu, the battle in which was the end for France in Vietnam.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._C-119_Flying_Boxcar

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
the C130 is pretty small. I jumped out of them in the Army and remember thinking they really are pretty cramped when you put 60-70 paratroopers in one.

And thus it defines the minimum size limit for the proverbial "can of whoopass".

Didn't the -27's end up going to the Coast Guard?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
And honestly - the C130 is pretty small. I jumped out of them in the Army and remember thinking they really are pretty cramped when you put 60-70 paratroopers in one.

My first jump was out of a C-123 on a hot July afternoon at Fort Benning. I was glad to jump and get the heck out of that airplane.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

...Didn't the -27's end up going to the Coast Guard?

Right you are, Mr Kotter, the brand new J models did. IIRC, first it was an Army program, then the AF decided it would be joint, and then the AF said "This plane supports the Army, we don't need it."

http://defense-update.com/20140107_uscg_c27j.html

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post