SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Lawrence of Arabia
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawrence of Arabia Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Filmmaking at its finest. So much to be said about this film and no need to say it.

Probably one of the top ten films made, ever, in any genre or time period.

Playing right now on TCM.

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, agree about the movie and some of the points made by Lawrence are why the Middle East has been such a mess ever since.

Posts: 9439 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I am going to dedicate myself to getting through a lot of the classics. I can't wait. Thanks for the recommendation.

Posts: 11341 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

The sound is out of sync a bit

David Lean's scene transitions are masterful. You find the same kinds of transitions in Doctor Zhivago.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It took me sooooo many years to get to this and in a world full of hyperbole this movie is absolutely the REAL DEAL when people say it is one of the best movies of all time. Just an amazing movie made so much more amazing when you consider all the extras, locations etc.

This is absolutely one of the few that lives up to the moniker of one of the greatest movies ever made.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The central question of the film, and which goes unnoticed by many: "Who are you?"

At the 1:20 mark

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I watch this at least once a year. A masterclass in film making.

Casting = perfect

Script = perfect

1st and 2nd unit = perfect

Editing = perfect

Soundtrack and sound editing = perfect

It doesn't get better than this.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Nothing less than magnificent.
And in today's world, more important than it's ever been.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8305 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
"I like it because it's so clean". One of my very favorite movies. I just put it on my re-watch list.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Thy mother mated with a scorpion."

I comment every time LOA comes up, and I've brought it up at least a couple of times myself. My father took my brother and me to see it first run. I was nine years old. Don't know how many times I've seen it since then. My all-time favorite movie.

Posts: 2686 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The desert visuals are stunning.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
About 40 years ago I came home one afternoon from work and turned on the TV, which we had just hooked up to cable, and this movie came on.... I was standing up in front of the TV and started to watch it.... I watched the entire movie standing there.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
One of David Lean's Big Three; The Bridge on the River Kwai & Doctor Zhivago being the other two.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3427 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't remember where I heard this, but Lawrence of Arabia was filmed in a manner as to show the vastness of the Arabian Deserts, and was made for the "big screen".

Not that I'm a huge cinematic expert, but I have to agree. Two TOTALLY DIFFERENT experiences watching it on a 35in TV and a 57in with surround sound. I can't imagine it on the "big screen" in a theater.

I would put Lawrence of Arabia in the top 5 Movies made.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I can't remember where I heard this, but Lawrence of Arabia was filmed in a manner as to show the vastness of the Arabian Deserts, and was made for the "big screen".

Not that I'm a huge cinematic expert, but I have to agree. Two TOTALLY DIFFERENT experiences watching it on a 35in TV and a 57in with surround sound. I can't imagine it on the "big screen" in a theater.

I would put Lawrence of Arabia in the top 5 Movies made.

Filmed in 70mm 'Panavision', additionally,
quote:
To film Omar Sharif's entrance through a mirage, Freddie Young used a special 482mm lens from Panavision. Panavision still has this lens, and it is known among cinematographers as the "David Lean lens". It was created specifically for this shot and has not been used since.

Link

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And ah, yes, Maurice Jarre's musical score for this film. In all the films I've ever seen, there's no music which uplifts me more than this.

Director Lean's use of the music in this scene is very effective, with the score halting abruptly so Lawrence can speak his line. One of my favorite moments in all of film history. Indescribably good.

This is the scene in which Lawrence becomes fully accepted. He brings a man out of the desert after being told that God fated the man should die; "It is written"

"Nothing is written". At the two minute mark

Look at Omar Sharif's bearing as he walks. Look at the way O'Toole looks at Sharif before he removes his mask. Everything about this film is sublime.

posted Hide Post
One of the finest examples of art ever crafted. I never tire of it.

Silent

Posts: 1019 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I am embarrassed to say that I have not seen this film.
To my credit, it is now on the list.
Along with many others that have been recommended here on SF.

Posts: 4121 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a question, or something I’ve thought about.

At the end, when Anthony Quinn confronts Omar Sharif, and accuse him of loving Lawrence.

Being that they experienced almost all of the saga together, how could Quinn not have as much feeling for Lawrence as Sharif did?

Was it the initial crossing the Nefud desert? That almost impossible feat that bonded them so deeply, or does it just show that the Prince is just a more thoughtful man?

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
I am embarrassed to say that I have not seen this film.
To my credit, it is now on the list.
Along with many others that have been recommended here on SF.

I am a movies for entertainment person. I can find quite a lot of joy in something like Sharknado for example. I want to be entertained.

Now that said FILM as an art Form can absolutely be entertaining as well as technically wonderful. Sometimes however I can watch a film that I thoroughly appreciate the artistry but don’t get a huge enjoyment from it. The Godfather comes to mind. I know I know get a rope. It’s an amazing film but doesn’t quite entertain me.

Lawrence of Arabia took me FOREVER to get around to but when I did I was a little gobsmacked at just how good it was from LITERALLY every piece. Music, cinematography, the artistry, the acting and beyond all of that it is a hell of an entertaining movie where all of its artistry and technical excellence just disappears into a wonderful holistic experience.

Like I said above. The vast amount of time somebody says this is that is one of the greatest movies of all time it tends to be hyperbole. Lawrence of Arabia IS ABSOLUTELY IN EVERY WAY one of the greatest movies ever made.

So what I am saying is make time to watch it. I think you will love it.

And yeah yeah I will expect a horse head in my bed in the near future. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post