SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Looking for a bolt action rimfire recommendation *Update in OP*
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Looking for a bolt action rimfire recommendation *Update in OP* Login/Join 
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Little bit of an update.

Been 6 days since I ordered and still hasn’t shipped from PSA. I’m not so much bitching as I’ve placed dozens of orders from PSA and they’re always slow on shipping.

I found the scopes today. What I have on hand between the Leupold firedot and the Vortex are way too heavy. I’ve found some Leupold 2-7 online but folks are asking $400+ for a $300 scope as they are discontinued. I saw a Leupold rimfire 4x which would be perfect for my wife for $285 but I figure I can get the fixed power cheaper. Might be easier for her but I also don’t wanna spend the money on a fixed power when the variable should only be slightly more money.

If she never wants to adjust it then she never has to adjust it.

I’ll update when we receive it and get it set up with a sling and scope.





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8034 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Saw u bought the cz, so congrats on a good choice. I was gonna recommend haunting the used racks in your local shop to see if an older Winchester or Remington popped up. I have both a Winchester 69 and a 67 (mag and single shot respectively). Both are classic blued steel and wood esthetic and plenty accurate for all but serious competition.

I will ask, why the concern for weight on the scopes? You bought a target barreled rifle, so I'm assuming there isn't much intent on walking the woods with it, so I'd buy the nicest glass I could afford. Probably in the 4-16 range, cause I'd be shooting from a bench or supported position trying to pick which letter on the soda can is getting a new hole... but I tend to shoot within 15 feet of my truck too.

Anyway, congratulations on a good rifle. Hope they get it to you this year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfe 21,


A Perpetual Disappointment...
 
Posts: 2948 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
This thread got me too. Didn't really need it, but $200 off is enough reason for me to add one to the safe. Shipped in less than a week, so... Maybe Palmetto likes me?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfe 21,


A Perpetual Disappointment...
 
Posts: 2948 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I'd buy the nicest glass I could afford.

I’ve long lost track of the discussions here about scopes, but that’s a common theme that is very often true for most satisfying results.

In my experience, selecting a rifle is much easier than selecting a scope for it. That’s because once we’ve decided on the rifle’s purpose there are usually many fewer options to choose from than there are for scope sights. And that’s especially true if we might use the rifle for more than one purpose.

I’ve thought at times about trying to replace the 2-7× “rimfire” Leupold on my ancient 77/22, but every time I do, I remind myself that the rifle is mostly a plinker that allows me to practice a few of the things I do with centerfire rifles.

For the much more precision type shooting I do with a couple/three 22LR models, I appreciate the scopes with higher magnification. Two rifles in particular have 7-35× models, and sometimes just for the sake of doing it I’ll turn the magnification down to 12-15× or so. Mostly they’re at 25× because that’s the max magnification of my centerfire scopes, but sometimes I’m happy to have 35× because I’m trying for maximum precision on tiny targets such as shotgun shells at 100 yards or for zeroing and testing ammunition.

Those scopes are not, however, very good for knocking over bowling pins with fast transitions from the offhand position at 25 yards, so that’s the reason for the 2-7 on the 77/22.

The obvious solution for all that is of course to have different rifles and setups. Wink
Of all the rifles I have, the ones chambered for 22 Long Rifle are the least likely for me to look at one and say, “Why did you ever buy that?”




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49956 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
You may want to investigate DIVERSIFIED INNOVATIVE PRODUCTS if you aren't aware of them. Lots of products for many firearms, to include your wife's new cz. Metal trigger guards and bottom metal, magazine base plates, bolt knobs (since the 457 bolt handle is threaded), and scope bases to convert from the dovetail mount to standard picatinny/weaver rings.

https://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3600


A Perpetual Disappointment...
 
Posts: 2948 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
CZ use 11 mm dovetails--just FYI.
 
Posts: 2509 | Location: CT River Valley | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There are many scope ring options available for the 11mm dovetail system from various manufacturers, but the Picatinny system offers many other mounting options, and is something to perhaps keep in mind.

The possible disadvantage of attaching a Picatinny conversion rail to the 11mm dovetail is that it obviously raises the mounting rings up higher. That in turn can make it difficult to get a proper cheek* weld on the stock. On the other hand, something I discovered late in my shooting life was that excessive cheek pressure on the stock, especially with 22LR rifles, was a detriment to (my) marksmanship and accuracy. After discovering that (with the help of SIGforum members), my 22 Long Rifle shooting results have improved markedly.

* The Army calls/called it a “stock” weld, and so do I. Usually. Wink




“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
 
Posts: 49956 | Location: 10,160 Feet Above Sea Level in Commirado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Recently bought a Winchester Xpert .22lr Sporter, wood stock version. Nice accuracy and trigger, utilized the Ruger 10-22 mags easily. This has a reduced size stock and was purchased primarily for my 12-year-old grandson but a smaller framed adult would do well. The primary disadvantage is its fixed factory rear sight which sits too low for me to use, at all. Aftermarket specialized scope rails are available for this rifle's dovetail, which would solve this deficiency if desired.
 
Posts: 298 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Mason-Howe Rifle Room    Looking for a bolt action rimfire recommendation *Update in OP*

© SIGforum 2026