SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My "Why the hell not" 10/22 build
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My "Why the hell not" 10/22 build Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted

The advent of the 10/22 Takedown meant I rediscovered the 10/22. For some reason, while I'd kept my Mark II pistols over the years, (I'll be getting at least one Mark IV) I'd made room in the safe by eliminating my 10/22s. Silly, really, why sell them, they are ubiquitous.

The Takedown certainly got my attention, the Magpul stock for it reminding me of the myriad of accessories for these rifles. I thought to myself, I've never made an "all out" 10/22.

There are a number of ways to go "all out" or "why the hell not" with a 10/22. You can buy complete rifles from a number of makers, with screw in barrels and high quality parts. I didn't want to spend _quite_ that much, and I knew this wasn't exactly going to be cheap. So far though, while it hasn't been terribly expensive, compared to a factory Ruger it certainly is.

I knew I wanted to avoid having leftover parts, and if I was doing something different, it also didn't make sense to buy a complete base rifle. There are a number of offerings out there, Nodak was tempting. I settled on Tactical Innovations because of the left hand charging handle option, cleaning hole, and color choices. This'll be a scoped rifle, and a LHCH is a nicety.

The barrel is a Whistle Pig 22," They had the right mix of price, options, and reputation.

The trigger is a Volquartsen TG2000 complete group, if I'd already had a housing I'd have gone with the Kidd upgrade, but the TG2000 is very nice, complete, and available in colors.

The stock I've chosen should be here sometime soon, from Richard's Microfit Stocks The color scheme is "black widow":

The tally for this dalliance is just under $900 so far.

Why the hell not.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Sweet! By cleaning hole, you mean a hole in the back of the receiver so you can use a cleaning rod from the breech end? I’ve been thinking of doing that to my stock Ruger, but it may just be time to build a new one.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Sweet! By cleaning hole, you mean a hole in the back of the receiver so you can use a cleaning rod from the breech end?

Yes, it's very handy, for those who actually clean their 10/22s. I was interested in the charging handle, the cleaning hole is a nicety that I may use. I do own an AI AE that I religiously clean by pushing towards the muzzle only. Whether that is really necessary with a 10/22, isn't something I'm concerned with, but if you're going to buy any aftermarket 10/22 receiver, it should probably have one. Particularly if it's an integral rail rece like this.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
Just what we need, another 10/22 thread to help us spend our money. At least it’s not a palmetto thread...

That’s a purdy receiver. I’m digging the color.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I picked the stock first. It was that or "yellow jacket," and yeah, if you're going to do a custom 10/22, why not get a little crazy?

They have scope rings that match their receiver colors, trigger housings and about everything else. You can definitely make a flashy 10/22 off of the TI website. It reminds me of the term "ricer," or the hopefully dieing trend started when Fast and Furious was at its height.

Arc.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I bought my wife a 10/22 about 4 years ago, posts like this tempt me to take it back!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Ah... nothing like dropping at least a thousand on a .22. The memories !

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Nice!! I’ve got a Tacsol x-ring that’s a tac driver. I went with the bright blue. I love a rifle that’s “untraditional” in its color scheme.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Richard's does some great stocks,
bought a few (for other firearms) from them in the past

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I picked the stock first. It was that or "yellow jacket," and yeah, if you're going to do a custom 10/22, why not get a little crazy?

They have scope rings that match their receiver colors, trigger housings and about everything else. You can definitely make a flashy 10/22 off of the TI website. It reminds me of the term "ricer," or the hopefully dieing trend started when Fast and Furious was at its height.

It's not "ricer" if it is done right and honed for a specific purpose. Even if that purpose is farting around shooting beercans.

A 10/22 is a perfect platform to make yours. I really think something like this will end up being my next project.

What kinda optic are you considering? Handy dot or fly-shooting zoomer?

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Arc: Very nice build...why not indeed. I have about $700 in one from a few years back. The Stainless bull barrel has a Bentz match chamber, this was a mistake. The SWC shaped lead bullets will not chamber reliably, so ammo selection is carefully considered. I recently traded my 10-22 take down and after seeing the new parts offerings I am sorry I did. Enjoy, it'll shoot well no doubt.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing! I have wanted to do the same thing, but didn't want to buy a complete TD and have left over parts as well. So now I know where to go so that doesn't happen.

BTW I was looking at a Magpul stock, and a Volquartsen trigger and their TD barrel. I want an accurate field gun.

Let us know how it shoots for you.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
10/22s are great, especially the takedown models. I have one I put the Tacsol barrel / Hogue stock setup on and it's awesome.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
It's not "ricer" if it is done right and honed for a specific purpose. Even if that purpose is farting around shooting beercans.

What kinda optic are you considering? Handy dot or fly-shooting zoomer?

I can't say I've ever done something so flashy, which is why it reminds me of a ricer. The parts are of good quality, and I was careful with the barrel fit, so it should shoot. I don't plan on "finding" .22 ammo it likes, I have a ton, and will zero where I need to.

I'm planning on a Leupold MkII or III, with a German #4, in rather high magnification. 100yds at least, if it performs well, perhaps more. We shall see.

quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:
BTW I was looking at a Magpul stock, and a Volquartsen trigger and their TD barrel. I want an accurate field gun.

Let us know how it shoots for you.

The Magpul TD stock is what to do. The complete VQ trigger group is really worth it, and Moly Slide on contact surfaces seals the deal.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
I was looking at the receiver you have and just wondering what benefits going with that one over just purchasing a complete Ruger TD for just the receiver? Seems I can purchase a complete Ruger TD for less than the receiver.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not one for "flashy" but I think the action and stock look great! Can't wait to see the finished product.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
It is going to be trick double whammy throwdown. Oh, and red. Can't wait to see the finished rifle.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a Yellow Jacket stock for mine years ago and it just kind of fit for the 22. I like that red one better. It is amazing at how much you can invest in a basic 10/22,although yours is far from basic. Keep us informed with the build.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post

Stock arrived. Initial sand already done. On to the many coats of Total Boat Gleam 2.0.

Arc.

Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I was right.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post