SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sight screw help needed [Oh how I hate Bubba!] Update in last post
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sight screw help needed [Oh how I hate Bubba!] Update in last post Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
Trying to install a Parker Hale target sight on my P14 Remington. It uses the same screw as the battle sight. But Bubba staked the right side Mad and I can't keep it from turning. Any suggestions? An easy job made difficult.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kz1000,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not sure how small that is, but could you modify a flathead screwdriver into a forked flathead to get the flats on opposite sides of the punch?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
could you modify a flathead screwdriver

I was going to suggest careful work with a Dremel cutoff wheel or a file, but that seems like a better place to start.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
flathead screwdriver into a forked flathead

Better to mess up a screwdriver (probably more than one) than risk cutting into the rifle.

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sweet Chuckie
posted Hide Post
With a bit of patience, and a set of good die sinker files, you can easily remove the "punched" metal from the screwdriver slot. If it was here, I could do it in around 5 minutes.

Posts: 250 | Location: White Sulphur Springs, MT | Registered: December 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They make 1/4 spanner bits. One of them might be close enough to work.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a spanner set.

If they don't fit properly, get the closest one that does, and file/dremel it until it fits.

Posts: 7420 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ learn something new every day

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Update. It's installed, but the stock sight screw is too short, not tightening. The search continues. Thanks all for the advice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post