SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Just picked up my 1st straight pull battle rifle (7/25/21 Update in last post)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just picked up my 1st straight pull battle rifle (7/25/21 Update in last post) Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
Ross Mk2 3*, 1 of 20,000 sold by Canada to the US in 1917 for training use. Most have been sporterized (Mine is a rare bird). Missing the sight hood, a repro is on the way. Went to shoot it this morning, light primer strikes with HXP 303 and Indian 303. Hard primers or weak firing pin spring? Also, I've never seen a rifle that has the stock as the serialized part. Canadian markings on the right side of the butt & American markings behind the trigger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kz1000,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
nice rifle,

I've shot a bit of HXP thru Enfields w/o issue so I would bet either a weak spring or just needing a good clean/lube,

nice Kerr sling as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle indeed. And a rare bird in that kind of shape. I was expecting a K31 or K11 or even an Austrian Steyr. But, what a nice surprise to see that old Ross.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Great score. Definitely a rare bird in unsporterized condition.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lurking around
every corner
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle!

What did the primer strikes look like on the rounds that did fire? Comparing them might help figure out what's going on.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades... and I'm out of horseshoes!

Posts: 193 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle.
For a straight pull, I still pine for a K31.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Neat, I've always wanted a Ross, just for funsies.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
What is the metal piece forward of its trigger? I never noticed that before.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lurker:
Nice rifle!

What did the primer strikes look like on the rounds that did fire? Comparing them might help figure out what's going on.

No rounds fired. Frown

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
What is the metal piece forward of its trigger? I never noticed that before.

The magazine cut off.

-Bomber Harris

Lurking around
every corner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

No rounds fired. Frown

That stinks.

I agree with lyman above. Try a good disassemble, clean/lube of the bolt and if that doesn't work look at the spring.

I hope you get it sorted out.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades... and I'm out of horseshoes!

Posts: 193 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: July 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice one. I had a nice one that had NY National Guard unit markings on the sling.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Update: Found a great YouTube vid on bolt disassembly. Contrary to popular belief, it's easy peasy. It's apart & filthy:

-Bomber Harris

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Update: Found a great YouTube vid on bolt disassembly. Contrary to popular belief, it's easy peasy.

Disassembly isn't the tricky part. The tricky part is reassembling it.

Additionally, some of the early Ross bolts can be incorrectly reassembled in such a way that they appear to be correct, and the bolt will fit and function in the rifle allowing you to chamber and fire a round, but such a misassembly actually causes the bolt lugs to fail to lock when the bolt is closed. This results in a dangerous situation where when fired, the unlocked bolt is then blown back into the shooter's face, potentially catastrophically.

One of several reasons why the Ross design was quickly dropped by the Canadians.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Update: Found a great YouTube vid on bolt disassembly. Contrary to popular belief, it's easy peasy.

Disassembly isn't the tricky part. The tricky part is reassembling it.

Additionally, some of the early Ross bolts can be incorrectly reassembled in such a way that they appear to be correct, and the bolt will fit and function in the rifle allowing you to chamber and fire a round, but such a misassembly actually causes the bolt lugs to fail to lock when the bolt is closed. This results in a dangerous situation where when fired, the unlocked bolt is then blown back into the shooter's face, potentially catastrophically.

One of several reasons why the Ross design was quickly dropped by the Canadians.

RogueJSK, the MK 3 bolt is the one with that problem. No such issue with mine.

-Bomber Harris

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very cool! Did the strip and clean of the bolt do the trick for your light strikes?

Posts: 8526 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Very cool! Did the strip and clean of the bolt do the trick for your light strikes?

Just finished cleaning the bolt. The dirtiest one I have ever encountered. Lots of CLP, Borescrubber and a light coat of oil have it looking much better. Won't be able to go to the range until next Sunday. I hope this did the trick.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
2nd try, more fail. Still light primer strikes.

This ammo works fine in my other 2 .303 rifles.
Gonna try commercial .303 next. If that doesn't work, I'll have to find a gunsmith that understands these rifles.

-Bomber Harris

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Have you checked headspace? (Excessive headspace could be the cause of the light strikes.)

If that's not it, how's the tip of the firing pin?

Have you looked for a replacement mainspring? (Though I'd assume they're nigh-unobtainable.)

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Have you checked headspace? (Excessive headspace could be the cause of the light strikes.)

If that's not it, how's the tip of the firing pin?

Have you looked for a replacement mainspring? (Though I'd assume they're nigh-unobtainable.)

Firing pin isn't clipped, spring seems fine (it had plenty of tension during disassembly/assembly). Anything else is beyond my skillset.

-Bomber Harris