SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who here paints / camouflages their AR-15s?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who here paints / camouflages their AR-15s? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
For some reason, YouTube started putting up videos of how to spray paint rifles. Supposedly, a black rifle makes you a target from far away.

I'm far from considering the idea of doing it because I have a lot more higher priority things to do. But I am curious how many of you do for that purpose of breaking up the silhouette.

And would you please post some pics? Thank you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The internet is right, a black rifle sticks out like a sore dick, especially If you are somewhat camouflaged. I guess I’ve just never had the balls to do it myself but look forward to seeing some pics and techniques showing up in this thread!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it may depend on where you live and, like most things, your use-case. I live in an agricultural area outside a pretty small town that isn't very built-up; so there's plenty of vegetation. That fact, combined with how I consider preparedness and the application of a carbine, makes it a smart move to camouflage a weapon. That being said, my go-to gun is camouflaged. I didn't refer to any video or other guide. My local hardware store stocks green and khaki camouflage spraypaint; I bought them and some flat red/brown primer. The hue of the primer is appropriate here in GA. All these are matte finishes. IMO, to really do it right, you gotta paint it all: optics, lights, lasers, mags, everything. Obviously you mask off lenses, iron sight apertures/posts, laser and light emission points, etc. I didn't see a need to mask any other parts of the gun, and haven't had any problems caused by the paint. Matte paint is critical. I don't post pics; maybe someday; sorry. Obviously, you are making a commitment, in painting the gun. Either try it on a knock-around beater, or go ahead and do the rifle nearest and dearest to your heart. You don't care so much about the beater, and you're likely never parting with nearest and dearest. Seeing the patina develop, as you use a painted gun, is kind of fun.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I’ve done a few. Couple for myself but mostly like this for friends.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That paint can with the boat on it is the same kind I used.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You can also half-ass breaking up the outline by using stuff like earth tone furniture and rail covers.

You still have large chunks of black space on the rifle, but at least it's not one solid rifle-shaped black chunk.

I don't paint any of my rifles. All of my defensive long guns are for duty use or home use. I don't have a need for camouflaged patrolling or wilderness infiltration.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can also half-ass breaking up the outline by using stuff like earth tone furniture and rail covers.

Yes. I have a Colt 901, setup as my DMR rifle. I didn't want to paint it, as it is one of only a few guns of mine that has resale potential. I painted some pieces, but not any part of the rifle itself, and it dos a decent job of camouflaging it.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Snipers love their Krylon time.

It’s a thing.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Wasn’t there a thread on here a number of years back where someone did a spray paint Camo job on an AR in their shower?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I did one of mine.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I don't usually but I painted my Sig for fun. Looks great now. Wears off and looks cool I think.

ETA - should have said this is early on. It's way more worn now. Darker and lots of black vs this pic. Hate to say it but this is about 10 years old at this point. Same paint just less of it on it now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Slippery Pete,

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rattle can'd a few work guns years ago. It does help break up the silhouette of an all black gun.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of rattle-can AR’s and they can definitely benefit from a makeover to blend with camo or background.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
For those who don’t want to paint, various tapes, wraps, and different colored stocks, grips, and covers break things up as well.

I looked at tape but it looks a lot more work prepping the gun and the tapes are more expensive.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Good Stuff! (I'll be building and painting one of my own when I get home)

Sorry guys, thread drift:
@grumpybiker: What kind of rear sight is that and where do you think I could find one? Does it work well? (My build is going to be iron sights only. I've had good success with both the M16a2 and M4 rear sight, not sure which way to go)

Posts: 502 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I have a couple of rattle-can AR’s and they can definitely benefit from a makeover to blend with camo or background.

First, I am not making fun of you.
Second, when I saw the picture, I zoomed in expecting to see a rifle that you propped up to show how well camouflaged it is. I was surprised to see you (I assume) so your camouflage or gillie suit is great.

But I have to ask: why? Is it just proof of concept and that you know you can do it? I don’t hunt but that’s not for hunting, right?

And, at least, this thread is not making me think spray painting rifles is a crazy hey look at me idea but that it does have practical purpose.

posted Hide Post
quote:
But I have to ask: why?

If you exercise your Second Amendment rights in the context of defending you, yours, and your nation against foreign and domestic enemies, not just self defense and hunting, camouflage like this becomes relevant quickly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Speedbird:
@grumpybiker: What kind of rear sight is that and where do you think I could find one? Does it work well? (My build is going to be iron sights only. I've had good success with both the M16a2 and M4 rear sight, not sure which way to go)

As these were only for the look I used one from Leepers for this build I did for a friend.
But if it’s to be your primary sighting option, LMT & RRA sell milspec A2 sights for A4 uppers.
Both in the $130 range. A Google search for either will get you a list of sellers.

I’ve done a few of these , some more accurately to military specs (depending on the parts the guy brings me). But even the low buck ones accomplished the goal of transporting them back to the Gulf & Afghanistan while they hold them and run their hands over them.
Which is what most of my friends want them for.
Bit of a touchstone to the past.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paint my rifles all the time. Not my fine walnut/blue steel functional art, but plastic AR-15, Mini 14, and certain precision rifles. Usually I go with camouflage themes but sometimes it's just something fun. I just painted a Mini orange with black stripes. Tiger stripe.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My Colt came with early generation MOE handguards, and I hated the handguards. Everything was FDE and I spent months looking for a FDE, M-LOK, aluminum handguard that fit with a fixed front site. I finally gave up, bought a black one, and painted it with Brownell's Alumahyde in FDE.

It turned out great and has been durable.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23218 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post